Friday, September 28, 2007

Ways You Can Help...

The other night when I posted I forgot to mention a couple things that I intended to include. As a parent watching my daughter fight this battle I have this incredible urge to do something that might help another family with a terminal child. Unfortunately because of the amount of time I have spent caring for Sophie in the past six months, I haven't been able to get up and running with my ideas. Many people have asked me many times what they could do to help, and I usually don't know what to say. Or I have had many people say, "I wish there was something I could do." Now there is! I am doing my best by giving all you wonderful and caring people an opportunity to help and raise awareness through the efforts of some other parents who have fought, or are fighting this DIPG battle. If everyone does one small thing, it could turn into a big step in finding a cure so that no other family will have to go through this. Honestly, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy...that is if I had any enemies!

The first way you can help is by visiting www.prayersfrommmaria.org and purchasing something from he gift shop or making a donation to help support their cause in fighting gliomas. Or you can visit www.thecurestartsnow.org and donate to their DIPG fighting fund or find other ways to help. Or, for those of you who like to buy things for other kids, visit http://www.helphannah.org/Page.aspx?id=19 and read about a family who is collecting toys for Christmas in honor of their daughter with a DIPG. Their goal is to collect 1000 toys to distribute to kids through their hospice organization. Since I'm not organized enough to raise awareness on my own, I thought the least I could do was pass this information on to all of you.

So how is Sophie? I wish I had a better answer, but we've actually seen some decline the past few days. She is having more trouble swallowing liquids; to the point where she coughs with each attempt at a small sip. I have been using a straw to drip small amounts into her mouth, and this seems to help a little. She still has a good appetite which bothers me because I wish she could just take a big bite of a chicken nugget like I know she wants to. She's been surviving on jello and softened Life cereal. It takes about 45 minutes of small bites on a baby spoon to get a 1/4 cup serving through the centimeter gap between her teeth. At time she thinks she is opening her mouth, but her teeth will be clenched shut. We may have to revisit the idea of the feeding tube so she won't have to suffer the feeling of being hungry.

She has been taking more naps in the last couple days, and sleeps pretty soundly when she is sleeping. Her nights have been better; although I am not sure if that is a good thing. At times I look at her and she seems to be staring off into space, and I have to repeat myself many times before she will answer me with a nod or a thumbs up/down. Marc says it is like she is trapped inside her head. I think of all the things she would be saying if she could talk, and it makes me realize that I can hardly remember what her voice sounded like.

She has been interested in books lately, and will sit and listen to a few stories at a time. This makes interacting with her a little easier, because for the most part it's hard to find things to say to her. Have you ever tried to carry on a conversation with someone who couldn't respond? Aside from reading, I have been singing little songs to her and telling her how much I love her. I also tell her about all the other people who love her too, and sometimes I share silly stories about baby Sarah (who we all call Yahoo). I try not to say too much because I'm not sure if Sophie feels sad that Yahoo can run circles around her and do way more than she can.

My parents took Yahoo home for a couple days and it's been very quiet around here. It makes this whole ordeal even more sad when I look at my 4 year old who should be making a racket, yet she sits in silence with her head slumped over as though she is not there. I continue to use the PER machine with Sophie because I haven't given up on her. I still believe she is not in pain and that is the best thing. Our hospice nurse canceled our visit on Thursday because of an emergency so I don't have a report on her vitals. We should know on Monday if everything still sounds good.

Please continue to pray for Sophie; that she may be pain free and if it's not too much to ask that this horrible tumor be removed from her little head! We thank you for your support and prayers.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart is breaking...I am at a loss for words. I just feel like screaming get the tumor out of her head. A child with cancer just does not make sense and IS NOT FAIR!! Since our ordeal started with Bradley - I have seen so many kids suffer. Poor little children should not suffer. Childhood cancer MUST be cured!! Reading your words about your sweet Sophie tear at my heart. I am so sorry your precious little girl is going through this. I am sorry you, Marc and Sarah are going through this. We will continue praying for the miracle Sophis deserves.

The Simmons'

jenhealan said...

Emily,

You and Sophie are in my thoughts and prayers daily. My daughter's best-friend fought a DIPG for 10 months. Her mother never felt like she was in pain during the tumor progression stage. I am praying that Sophie will remain pain-free. I agree with NEVER GIVING UP! Sophie isn't giving up and neither should you! I know one thing Sabina enjoyed in her last weeks was rootbeer/coke floats. Try this! God Bless you during this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

you don't know me, I'm not even sure where I found this link. I just wanted to say I'm praying tonight for your sweet Sophie. I'm praying that God will give you the miracle she so desperatly needs. I pray for strength as you take care of her and your family. I pray for wisdom, w/ such difficult decisions. I pray for comfort, as you family and friends surround you. I pray that Sophie will be able to find a way to communicate with you daily in whatever way she can. May God wrap his arms around you and hold you tight thru this time. -just someone who cares!

Anonymous said...

I just felt I needed to tell you
about some of the treatments I came across.Just incase you havent.
one is (ATO) and another
is western medicine (california )along with a nutritionist giving a plan(herbs etc).read Bridgette Miksch story
caringbridge.orgvisit/bridgetm
I'm a mom and my heart just aches for you . I pray for sophie and your family everyday.
I just wouldnt be able to sleep tonight thinking I should send this.Im just hoping something could help.I believe there is still
hope for her miracle!!
prayers and gods blessing to you

Anonymous said...

Hi Sophie, I am lifting you to the Lord for His blessings and sending you angel whispers for your comfort and praying for your mommy and daddy......Angel Wings

Unknown said...

Good Morning, Sophie.

Just a quick note to let you know I'm thinking of you today. I am praying for your miracle. I am praying that the Lord will provide you with exactly what He sees you need today. I know He hears and answers prayers. He loves you very much.

Sending Angel Hugs, Praises and Prayers.

"Behold, children are a gift from the Lord."

Anonymous said...

Precious Little Sophie I am holding you close to my heart and always in my prayers. Praying constantly for no pain, hugs special litle one.

Anonymous said...

Lets all get busy and do SOMETHING, no matter how small and make it our business to FIGHT THIS MONSTER! Thanks for the tips, Emily. God bless you, sweetheart, and your precious family. Love, Sophie's aunt Lynne

Anonymous said...

Dear Quayle Family,

Thank you for providing ways to help. We were unable to attend the carnival and will support by way of your suggestions!
Also,thank you for allowing us into Sophie's journey. Reading your posts puts so much into perspective and allows us to pray in a more specific manner for Sophie and the entire family.

May the Grace of God be with you all!
The Gordon Family - Westwind neighbors

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I hope you know Marcia and I pray for the four of you daily and will continue to.
God Bless you,
Jen's parents

Unknown said...

Praying for Sophia this evening. I know the Lord hears and answers our prayers. I am praying for Sophie's miracle, too. I never give up hope.

Sending oodles of Angel Hugs, Praises and Prayers.

"Behold, children are a gift from the Lord."

Anonymous said...

The carnival was amazing and what a delight that Sophie was able to attend and ride the pony. Emily, your patience and endurance leave me speechless, and Marc, you are the glue holding it all together. Sophie is truly an angel and Sarah, well Sarah keeps everyone on their toes. We love and miss you all so very, very much.

Anonymous said...

Praying for Sophie and your family, Prayers and (((hugs)))Carolyn/Angel_Wings

Anonymous said...

Emily,
It was a pleasure meeting you, your wonderful parents and an honor to meet your beautiful Sophie on Saturday. I hope it made you feel a little better seeing how many people love and pray for Sophie and your family. As a mother and grandmother I just wanted to give you a hug and tell you everything was going to be O.K., but unfortunately only God can tell you that. Never doubt yours or Marc's decission for anything you do for Sophie. The Love and Care you have shown for Sophie is truely inspiring. Our prayers will continue daily for all of you.
Kathy Auvil

Anonymous said...

Praying for you, Sophie and your whole family. May God wrap His arms around you tight and carry you throught this. I am praying for a miracle. hugs. Lynn

sunShine said...

I pray for Sophie and you guys every night.

Anonymous said...

Sophie we love you and pray for you every day - your Peninsula, Ohio family.

Unknown said...

Sweet dreams tonight, Miss Sophie. I am praying for you today and every day. May the Lord continue to carry you in His loving, tender arms. May He continue to bless you and your family with those things He sees all of you stand in need of at this time.

Sending oodles of Angel Hugs, Kisses and Prayers.

"The Lord is my shepherd. . . ."

Anonymous said...

Mark & Emily,

We have watched Sophie's story unfold from a distance and have not contacted you before. But we want you to know that your Sophie is one brave little darling whose life is having an impact on many. And you are amazing, amazing parents! Emily - your dedication to sharing this journey has touched us deeply. Our prayers are with you each day that you will find strength and grace in each moment.

Anita & John Leader
Charlotte, North Carolina

Anonymous said...

You are always in our prayers. I wear my "Sophie" bracelet everyday and each time I notice it, I say a prayer for Sophie and your family. Miracles do happen, and you are all very deserving. Don't lose hope.
Love, Misty

Anonymous said...

I have come to know your family through my son, Joseph Tietz, who was a student of Mrs. Segetti. We have followed your story since we first learned about Sophie's diagnosis. We have donated and attended a fundraiser, but most of all we pray for you every single day--throughout the day. I pray that God will pick you up and carry you when you feel weak. I pray that he keeps you strong, and that you have a strong support system to help keep you sane.

However, what we pray for most is a miracle that will cure Sophie. I hope that she will soon become healthy, well, and happy--and that she will live to be a vibrant old lady.

We keep her picture on the front of our refrigerator, so that we will never forget to pray for you and your family.

Shortly after my Father died, a wise older woman (72ish) reminded me that for all of the heartbreaks and tribulations that we go through in our lifetimes, that God will make it right again. She also showed me the verses in Revelations in which God promises justice, no more sickness or death, and no more outcry of sadness. He also promises to wipe away every tear from our eyes. Although I still grieved over the loss of my father, remembering those words and re-reading them in the Bible gave me peace and understanding and it still makes me feel better--while I continue to read it.

We are going to try to make it to the "cut-a-thon" to support you a little bit more. (By the way, I have very long hair-just about down to my butt-and my intent has been to let it grow as much as I can stand it, and to donate 8-12" to the "locks of love" organization. They take human hair and make them into beautiful wigs for cancer patients who have lost their hair. I think that the wigs go to the children first.) If anyone knows where I can drop off my long clump of hair, please let me know so that it can be donated to those who need it.

To Sophie and her family: Please continue to be strong and do NOT let ANY negativity (even from a physician) sink into your thoughts. And please keep looking towards a miracle and a beautiful. There are so many people praying for you and we all care so much for you. My heart breaks for you and your situation, and I PROMISE you that we will continue to pray for Sophie all the time. She is such a beautiful child and from what I read, a very sweet little girl as well. We need Sophie in this world, and we need a miracle.

I'm sorry to have rambled on as I have, but I've been wanting to comment since February/March, but I would somehow chicken out--but noticing Sophie's bravery and sweetness, I decided to write to you and let you know that even though we have never met, we will stand behind you, support you, and continue to pray for everyone in your family.

God Bless You,

Susan Sapienza (Mom) & Joseph Tietz (Son--8)

Anonymous said...

Marc and Emily,

We are praying for you still! We are believing in God's healing and restoration!

Jason and Cori Bailey
jasonandcori@tx.rr.com
Disney Cruise!!