Thursday, February 7, 2008

Four Months Without Sophie

I'm late with my update again. I don't have an excuse, unless Ash Wednesday can be an excuse. Ironic to me that an anniversary of Sophie's death would fall on this significant beginning of time of prayer and repentance. This month not only marks the anniversary of Sophie's death, but also the anniversary of her diagnosis and many "lasts". I cannot believe a year has gone by already. At times I feel like I lost the year 2007. Actually I wish I could lose that year, or just skip over it!

When I think about last February, I now can clearly remember so many things that were "different" about Sophie. Last year, while doing the Valentine's cards for her preschool class, she wanted to stop signing her name after only a few. Looking back, that was surely a sign, because now I can remember how eagerly she decorated and neatly signed her name in cards for people in February of 2006...and she was only two and a half!

Sometimes I wonder why she was given the gift of such intelligence. Why was she chosen to be the child who had an amazing memory, and knew all her letters by 18 months? At the time, I didn't know that it was a big deal, until Sarah turned 18 months in January, and couldn't identify her letters, yet we consider her to be very bright.   I think Sophie was an old soul, filled with wisdom beyond her years. When I reflect back on her intelligence, kindness and vocabulary, it's hard to believe she was only three and a half when diagnosed and four years old when she died.

The hurt and the pain do not go away, and it still hasn't gotten any easier. I miss her just as much, if not more than the day she died.  Lately, I have been haunted by all the "what if?" questions that seem to flood my mind. Even when she was healthy, it was my nature to second guess decisions, but after having been through a terminal illness and death of a child, I go over and over every decision we made regarding Sophie.

When Sophie was diagnosed, and we were given the prognosis, I believed the doctors when they told me she would only live 6-12 months.   I didn't stay positive and think that we could prove them wrong.  Initially it was not an easy decision for me to do radiation.  My first instinct as a parent was to forego radiation and allow the disease to run its course with the comfort of knowing that we could spend as much time at home with Sophie in her familiar environment.  I just wanted her to be happy.  I instantly realized that selfishly I wanted Sophie with me as long as possible, but that her ultimate home would be in heaven; a place that I believe is happier than I can even begin to understand. So I struggled with the question, "Why would we put her through this?" if it would only be to give ourselves time with Sophie.   

After much discussion, encouragement, and great recommendations about St. Jude, we decided to continue with radiation. Only because then, I changed my thought process to believing that maybe through prayer and a miracle, Sophie might be cured. I prayed and believed that radiation might buy us time to find the cure.   It was then that I thought we could prove the doctors wrong.

When radiation did little to shrink Sophie's tumor, and she continued to show symptoms, I felt very guilty that I had put her through all the days of sedation, blood draws, steroids, not being able to eat when she wanted to, our limiting food when her body said she was hungry, torturous baths and the dreaded enema.  I wondered if the radiation did an adequate enough job of stunting the tumor growth just enough to give us the time we needed to find the cure.

People tell me "If you didn't do radiation, you would be asking yourself the same questions." That is possible, but I always have a gut feeling about things, and I had a gut feeling that radiation wasn't going to help her.  I'm writing from my heart, telling the feelings that a parent who has a child diagnosed with a terminal disease has when forced to make medical decisions with their child's best interests at heart.

After radiation, all the treatments we pursued were in the hope of a cure. When I saw Sophie getting worse, I didn't for once want to prolong the inevitable, but I did think that since we tried radiation we should try the other alternative therapies that we discovered.  And although it is obvious that they didn't work, I do believe they made Sophie's physical suffering less. She really never complained of pain in the months after progression. It was only in the last weeks that it seemed she was trying to tell us her leg hurt. But still, we aren't sure. I know that the last hour of her life, with the labored breathing, must have been painful and scary. Her emotional suffering is what I worry about. Especially because she lost the ability to speak the last months of her life, as well as the ability to walk, eat, drink, swallow, and use her arms...things that so many of us often take for granted.

I say to Sophie every day that I am sorry. I am sorry that she was the one who had to suffer. I am sorry I held her arms down so that the nurses could come at her with a needle to put in her chest. I am sorry I gave her so many bites of applesauce with medicine in it that she hated the food she once loved. I am sorry that we had to go away from home to a place that was unfamiliar. I am sorry that we pushed you to walk as much as possible, even though you didn't want to. I am sorry that you couldn't eat what and when you wanted to. I am sorry we had you sit through numerous exams with doctors and nurses asking you the same questions over and over while you should have been playing Dora House. I am sorry you threw up every day and became accustomed to having a bowl at your side at all times. I am sorry you had to suffer. If your true calling was to be home with the Lord, then I'm sorry I didn't let you go sooner.

What comforts me today, even though I am haunted by many of the decisions we had to make, and the suffering Sophie endured, is the fact that she is in heaven with Jesus, and all those who have been welcomed into God's heavenly home.

Please don't forget about the prayersfrommaria.org Sunflower Soiree Fundraiser that is coming up on February 23.  All are invited to attend and show your support for the foundation that is dedicated to helping families and finding cures for gliomas.  We will be there and hope you will too.  If you cannot attend, please consider making a donation to the foundation.  For more information please visit  www.prayersfrommaria.org/docs/invite.pdf

We thank you for your continued prayers and support.  Please pray for the families fighting this battle and for those who have lost children.  May God bless you and keep you healthy.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was reading Genesis on a plane trip recently and was led to Genesis 9:15 I will remember my covenant between you and me and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all of life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on earth.

we think of you so often and often wonder how you are. Please know that Sophie made such a beautiful impact on the world and our lives!!!

Cori Lynn

Anonymous said...

I still think about and pray for your family. May God continue to be with you and give you strength. You words are gift that open peoples eyes to how difficult it is to make decisions to a terminally ill child. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Anonymous said...

Emily,
Please don't second guess yourself.
You did what any mom would have done in that situation. You tried to hold on to your baby as long as possible and ease her suffering.
She knew you loved her even when she couldn't speak. She could see it in your eyes and feel it when you held her and kissed her. We have not forgotten Sophie. I hope it brings you comfort to know that many people are thinking about you every day and praying for your heart to heal.

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't think there's a dry eye in the house! There are no words to express my feelings....Sophie was so blessed to have you for a mom. That brave little girl learned from you...you were her gift from God.Choices for
Sophie's care were made out of love, and faith in the Almighty. The possibility of a wrong choice didn't exist when made in the name of the Lord. Prayers and continued support are my promise to you.

Anonymous said...

Emily and Marc,
It is hard to believe that a year has passed since Sophie's diagnosis. I pray for you daily and thank you for sharing what is in your heart with all of us. I hope it makes us better at being present to those who suffer in any way. You are an incredible family and I pray for your peace and continued strength.
Pat

Anonymous said...

Oh Emily,

You should not second guess your decisions. As a parent myself, I would have done the same thing. I believe you did the right thing. It is easy to say what if now, however I believe if you had not done the radiation, there is a very good chance you would not have had Sophie until October. You probably asking yourself-what if I did the radiation-what if it cured her? You are already in more pain than any parent should endure, please don't put yourself in more. Know Sophie is in a better place and is preparing this place for the day you meet again. Hold your precious Sophie close to your heart and know is now cured.

Thinking of your family in East Moline, Illinois.

Anonymous said...

Emily,
You did the best you could for your precious Sophie. We all know that Sophie was wise beyond her years. When we think of all the things she did in her short time here, we are amazed too. We were just Up North, and the memories of all she did there are proof of her
unbelievable intelligence. We agreee that her darkest moments had to be emotional and mental.
You so beautifully put into words what we think about daily.
Sophie will always be in our hearts,and we know that we can count on her to intercede for us.
She is happy. Let's try to be happy for her, but we still miss her more than ever. We love you.
Grandma and Granpa

Anonymous said...

Dearest Emily, Every child who is ill should be blessed with parents like you and Marc. Knowing that she had you two to care for her was one of our Miracles. I find that this time after the holidays is even more difficult to get through. The shock of it all has worn off and a terrible sadness is left. Stay tight to one another and know you are loved by so many.

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing mother!
I heard a man who had lost his son once say words that went something like this--"Each day I wake up...struggle to put two feet to the floor and stand...it is in the first waking moments that the what ifs come flooding my mind..it is then that I have to lay each what if at the feet of the cross (literally imagine in my head my hands laying them at the feet of the cross)...it is only then that I can take my first few steps in my day...and when the thoughts keep coming back over and over, I have to keep taking my thoughts and laying them at the cross again and again." My prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that you have anything to be sorry about. As Sophie's parents. you made all decisions for your child with love and her best interest in mind.

I've never met you family; but when I read between the lines -- I feel a close family that is filled with great love for one another.

Sophie was truly blessed to have parents, family, and community that rallied together to love and care for such a beautiful angel.

May God with you.

Anonymous said...

Everything you did for Sophie was absolutely the right thing to do. And I would like to add something that may not mke a difference to you at all, but maybe it will.

We will never know whether all the medical tests and treatments that Sophie went through made any difference to her, but we do know that because of everything she went through, we know more about this awful disease and how to treat it. We are closer to a cure because of Sophie.

I know that may not be a lot of comfort to you now, as the wound of her passing is still raw. But maybe you can take some comfort in knowing that someday down the road another set of parents will be spared your pain because of the gift of Sophie.

Anonymous said...

Marc & Emily:
I visit your site regularly to celebrate Sophie, to see how you are doing, and for inspiration to be a better Mom and person. I am always overwhelmed with emotion thinking about how you are coping. It breaks my heart even more to read that you feel you may have hurt Sophie or should have made other choices. I am so impressed, amazed, humbled, and inspired by the devotion, love, energy, and will that your family has. Check back at your February 2007 posts, you knew that the fight was going to be difficult, but you chose to fight. You researched as much as possible, spoke to many experts, found alternative treatments... you found Sophie the best possible care. Not only did you stay up endless nights researching, but found the energy during the day to make sure that Sara had the best care possible, that Sophie had constant attention/hugs/love, and you did not miss a beat with decorating for Marc's trip in, for the girl's b-day, painting nails, going to Applebee's, taking trips, having visitors, basically making life fun. You really did it all - you found Sophie the best care and made the most of EACH day. She was such an amazing young lady, she might have beaten the odds -- you had to fight- she was worth it.

I think about your family every day. My heart aches so much for you. I am so sorry. I really admire you as parents. No wonder Sophie was such an amazing young girl and so intelligent -- look at her parents. What a nice reflection.

A friend of the Rainbow (Sophie's Rainbow)

Anonymous said...

I don't think it is fair to you to second guess yourself. Sophie was throwing up and having a difficulty walking when you sought diagnosis. She was uncomfortable and scared then. She may not have liked all the procedures she went through, but she knew you were doing them to try to help her feel better. It may not have prolonged things much, but it did help address some of the things that were scaring her in the begining and she was surrounded by the love of her family all the way. Whether it was at home or at St. Jude, she knew her family loves her and that you didn't want her to feel bad. It may have been just as hard for her to be surrounded by the things she knew so well and not be able to do the things she remembered doing only a short time ago. I believe she felt the love you have for her and she continues to give that back to you now that she is free from the pain of her physical body. You are both wonderful parents and Sarah is lucky to have you. Heather Westendorf

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,

I feel so much heartache for you and Marc. Reading this post gave those of us who haven't been priveledged to meet you a glimpse of the pain you're going through. I can't imagine losing a child and I pray for your family all the time, for strength and happiness when you think of spunky little Sophie. Please don't second guess yourself regarding her treatment. It'll only give you more heartache and God knows (He does!) that you and Marc made the most wonderful, excellent, un-selfish decisions regarding her health. No parent should have to deal with a child's terminal illness but I have admired your strength, your determination to fight for Sophie's sake and your honest thoughts about the entire thing. It's strange to feel so much for a family I've never even met, but I sure do. I'd also like to say that the radiation and other treatments very well lessened or diminished the symptoms of what is a horribly aggressive tumor. Her story will most certainly shed even more light on this disease and lead to a cure. I am praying for this! Again, there's always so much more I'd like to say but I haven't the right words. I think of you all often and pray for you as well. God bless you!

Molly Kofchur

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,
I think about you often. I feel as though I know you through your precious daughter. I can't even begin to imagine how you must feel with all of the "What ifs", but let me give you another scenario: You and Marc decide to let nature take its course, Sophie passes away a couple of months sooner, and in September, a HUGE announcement from St Jude comes that a cure has been found, or can at least greatly prolong the lives of these sufferers. (St Jude's has come a long way in some cancer treatments.) Knowing you did everything you could is so important for you and for Sarah someday, as well. I don't believe you would want to tell Sarah that you didn't try everything. Sophie is happy and free of all medical devices where she is. I am just so sorry that your heart is broken.

Kelly said...

As I commented before, my daughter was born the day Sophie went to Heaven. I will always think of you, Sophie and your family on every 6th of every month. Especially in October. My prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

I have never lost a child, I can't begin to know your pain, I can't imagine it. What I do know, is that you're probably still in a fog, a normal part of the grieving process. You did the right things, you loved your child, and you did
not let her down. I hope when you start to come out from this tremendous cloud of grief, you can be at peace, knowing it was out of your hands anyway. Please don't be so hard on yourselves. You're wonderful parents. May Sophie's peace find you soon.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing from the heart. Your strength is an example to so many. I am reminded again "that saying thank you, there is nothing greater than thank you, that is what you say to GOD is thank you" as spoken by Dr. Maya Angelou.

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily and Marc,

I keep re-reading your post, trying to come up with something to say that could possibly bring you some peace. I'm afraid that I still don't know. What I do know is that you made your decisions because you had HOPE. So often overlooked between faith and love, but not to be underestimated.

I believe that despite the heartache you all endured with countless medicines, procedures and prodding, what Sophie took with her was all the love that you gave; feeding her when she was weak, holding her when she was scared, always staying by her side and tirelessly rubbing her tiny back.

My prayer for you today is that you are able to find peace. I pray that the love you will endlessly give to Sophie will one day bring warmth to your heart. I pray that you are able to find some comfort for all of the questions in your mind. And I pray that you are once again able to find hope. Hope for today and hope for tomorrow and hope until you're with Sophie again.

Blessings,
Kim & Chris

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,

I've waited a few days to comment in hopes that I could find the right words. I'm not sure I have but I will try. As an empathic mother, I completed understand your thoughts. You are tormented by the what-ifs. I think that at this point in time, no matter what decisions you had made, you would be tormented by the what-ifs. We humans just don't have all the answers and we never will until we reach Heaven. I pray for you everyday. I am often moved to tears just looking at your house across the street and thinking of the pain you feel. I pray that God will carry you through the grieving process and bring you comfort, peace, and hope ... and I think Him everyday that he gave you the gift of Sarah who I'm sure brings you a ray of sunshine every day. Please know that many think of you and pray for you daily.

Candace