Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Please Read and Share with Everyone


Today is October 1st.  And the first day of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  I was reminded of this on the Today show this morning.  I needed this push to post the following letter that was written by a mother whose son is currently battling the same tumor Sophie was this same time last year.  She wrote it at the end of September and I've been meaning to share it with all of you.

This family lives in Michigan, and the mother, Sandy, who is a member of the DIPG Yahoo Group, received her breast cancer diagnosis just before her son's diagnosis almost a year ago.  I post this because last month was Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, yet I saw no national coverage.  It is so disheartening because right now childhood cancer is grossly underfunded when compared to other types of cancer.  We need to increase funding, and equally important, increase the awareness of childhood cancer.

You can read her letter at www.justonemoreday.org
It is on the home page, just under the gold ribbon.  (I tried and tired to paste this directly into the blog, but I haven't had success.)  Please take the time to go to this site and read her moving story.

I encourage you to share this with anyone and everyone you know.  Childhood cancer stinks. There is nothing worse.  I wouldn't wish this on anybody and I can only hope that one day our children will have more hope for a cure.  Especially children with Sophie's diagnosis, where the current survival rate is less than 1%.

On a happier note, our Family Fall Festival will be held this Saturday at Holy Spirit Church in Avon Lake from 11-4.  The planning committee has been working very hard to plan this day.  There are so many cool activities planned, and the minimum donation is only $10 per child.  There will be pony rides, multiple bounce houses, performances, a hay climb, loads of crafts, face painting, hair glitter, cookie decorating, food, drinks and bake goods for sale, and even vendors selling their goods.  Of course we will also have the Smiles For Sophie Forever items available for purchase so you can help us raise awareness about pediatric brain cancer.

The weather is supposed to be "fall perfect".  We would love for you to bring your kids out to join us for a fun filled day.  Last year, this was Sophie's last real "fun" outing, and I remember how much we could tell she loved it...even though she could no longer talk or smile.  I hope you take this opportunity to make some happy memories with the little ones in your life.  You never know what tomorrow brings so make the most of the opportunities you are given.

God Bless you all.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily
You could not have said better - make those happy memories and enjoy each and everyday of your life because you don't know what tomorrow will bring. I hope everyone reads the letter that Sandy Smith wrote and I hope they share it with their family and friends. I also encourage everyone this month when someone says something about breast cancer research and funding - take that opportunity to tell them about DIPG and under funding of childhood cancer research. We need to get the dialog started. I remember shortly after Sophie died you told me that you hoped the gray ribbon (for pediatric brain cancer) would someday be as well recongized as the pink ribbon. Let's make that happen.
with LOVE and HOPE,
Kristin

Sophie's Aunt Leslie said...

It is 7:10 AM on Thursday, 10/2. Owen and I are listening to Sophie's song as we often do. He says, "Mommy, here come your part" and "Mommy, here comes my part" as we take turns singing the verses. How I wish his innocence could last forever! Thanks for sharing the letter...it has left me feeling sad, angry and determined! We miss you Sophie! Like Crazy! We love you!

Anonymous said...

This morning, we were talking about last year's October Festival. It's funy the little details we remember; it seems like it all happened mere weeks ago. I wish we could be there with you this weekend, but know that you are never far from our thoughts, and always in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,
I have been thinking of you non-stop this week. I know this must be a tough one for you and your family. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't pray for you to find peace. I also want to let you know that you truly are an inspiration. The way you have set up this charity and are so dedicated to getting this message out there. Take a moment for yourself and allow yourself to realize what a good thing you are doing for others. You should be very proud. I know that Sophie is!You're doing great Em!
Love you, Misty

Anonymous said...

The fall festival was really something and I was really moved watching all the families enjoy the afternoon and for such a wonderful cause. Love, Aunt Lynne

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you-especially today!
Alex and Paula

Anonymous said...

Praying so hard for you here in New Jersey. I pray that God will lift you up and hold you today.

Anonymous said...

We are thinking of you today!! You are in our thoughts and prayers!!! Chris, Michelle, Chelsea and Makenna

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all today. I hugged my daughters a bit longer and closer this morning.

I Pray that you find some Peace today and that Sophie "visits" you and gives you some comfort!

God Bless You All! I can not imagine...

Anonymous said...

I pray that God watches over you and your family. We pray for you every night and tonight we will say a special prayer for you and your family. You, Marc and Sarah are a very special family with such a strong faith. May you always know that Sophie is in Heaven with God watching over you.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of your family most days, praying especially hard today.

Anonymous said...

You ALL are in my prayers and in my thoughts today. I can't imagine how hard all of this is for you, Emily, Marc, and your family. Know that their are SO many of us "out here" who love you and share your pain. We'd do anything to make all of this go away. Sophie is here, all around. She's with you. Love, Aunt Lynne

Anonymous said...

Dear Marc, Emily, and Sarah,

I feel very privledged to have been a participant in last night's beautiful and emotional service ... and so very blessed to have my 16 year old son standing at my side. You and Sophie and Sophie's grandparents are in my heart and prayers.

Love and Peace,
Candace

Anonymous said...

Happy Halloween Sophie!! Thinking of you and your family on special days like today!!