Sunday, April 6, 2008

6 Months Without Sophie


First things first. For those of you who are looking for simple ways to make a difference, here are some things you can do.

Please take a minute to go to this website and sign the petition to get a pediatric brain cancer stamp created through the U.S. Postal Service. I think this idea is a great way to spread awareness, and really hope you might take a minute to help make this a reality.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/521710130

Also, please visit Grace's carepage. This update includes instructions on how to get pre-written letters emailed to you so you can send them on to our Congress people.

http://www.carepages.com/UpdateListing?pagenumber=2&seed=123608&ClusterNodeID=jb06&tlcx1=chp&tlcx2=1292605

Both of these things take just a minute, and could make a difference in the life of child with cancer.

Our first Smiles For Sophie Forever 5K Walk/Run meeting is still on schedule for this Wednesday April 9 at 6:30. It will be held at Swingos Grand Tavern in Avon Lake. Email Kristin at pkvaneuwen@oh.rr.com for more information. Everyone is invited, and we would be so grateful for your time and talent.

We are making progress with IRS paperwork, the race and with the website. We are hoping that the information, registration and fundraising details will be posted by the end of the week. Thank you for your patience, and for the many inquiries about the details. We know it is going to be a fun day and a great birthday party for Sophie!

Well, what can I say. It's been another month. Another month without Sophie, another month in which children have died from a DIPG and another month in which more children have been diagnosed with brain cancer.

The pain of missing Sophie still stings my heart as it did the day she died. She will not be back, I will not wake up from this nightmare; those things will not change. However, I can only hope and pray that what happens to other children and families will change. I am steadfast in my desire to do something that might help these children and families and ultimately cure this disease.

Little by little I go through Sophie's things. Today I was looking through her nightstand. I found a couple old videos she used to watch in her room. I found her "Book of Colors" that she had made in preschool, and I found the book "The Night Before Christmas." That brought back so many memories, as we read that every night during the Christmas season of 2005 and 2006. When Sophie was just two and a half, she could recite that book and tell you what was coming next. I can still hear her saying, "mama in her kerchief and I in my cap" and "tore open the shutters and threw up the sash." This past Christmas I wondered what happened to that book as I got out all the other Christmas children's books while we were decorating. So, as I miss Sophie here every day, it's those little things that hurt the most.

I have so many good memories of times with Sophie; even those memories we made after she was diagnosed. I know those months weren't spent doing what we had always envisioned, but I can distinctly remember fun times I had with Sophie and how her laugh sounded and her smile looked as the disease progressed. The picture I included was taken exactly one year ago. We were at St. Jude. Sophie was a month into radiation; hindsight tells us she was doing well, while at the time, we thought she wasn't "getting better" fast enough. She and my Mom were having a party with many of the stuffed animals that had been sent to her. When I saw this picture, I noticed her puffy steroid cheeks, but then I looked past that to the beautiful smile she had.

I always smile when I think of her smile and when I remember a funny thing she said or did, but a lot of times I have a heavy heart when I think of what she went through. The worst time for me is at night; my mind is like a song on repeat as I replay time and time again all the things that Sophie, and our family endured during her battle. The other night as I was trying to fall asleep, I started to think about what was going through Sophie's mind, as she lost all of her physical abilities which would have allowed her to do what she wanted. I was laying on my back, and I thought to myself, this is how Sophie felt. Each morning she would lay in bed next to me and wait until something told me to wake up and look at her. Sometimes it was at midnight, other times at 4:00am, 6:00am or 8:00am. I thought about all the times she woke up waiting for me to wake up, maybe because she was thirsty, or needed her position adjusted or needed a cuddle; I pray to God there were not many times that I didn't sense her being awake, because she had no way of getting my attention. I like to believe that I always "knew" when she was awake, maybe it was a faint moan or something, because I swear that every time I opened my eyes, she would reach out that left hand to me. But if there were times she woke up and I didn't, I wondered if she just felt sad and laid there until she fell back asleep.

For a second I laid in bed and imagined what it would be like to lay there, not being able to talk, or sit up, or move your right arm or leg. The feeling sent a chill through my spine as I really grasped and realized how scared Sophie must have felt at times. That scared, helpless feeling she had, day after day, is all because of a tumor called a diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma, for which there is no known cure. If you stop what you are doing for a minute and put yourself in Sophie's shoes, imagine what you would feel like if you lost the physical ability to do everything you take for granted. You would not be sitting at your computer, typing, reading, taking a sip of water, going to the bathroom, scratching an itch, or having a way of notifying somebody if you were about to throw up (and if you were like Sophie, this was a daily occurrence.) I know she will never again have to experience those feelings, and as much as my heart aches for what Sophie went through, it aches too for those children who will actually experience what Sophie did.

Having gone through this battle with Sophie, and knowing and following the battles of other children with DIPG, it's obvious to me that there are different types of DIPGs. I say this simply because of the way and speed that the tumor progresses and how the symptoms of disease progression differ from one child to the next. DIPGs are usually grouped into one category because their pathology cannot be determined without a biopsy, which cannot be done until death, due to the risks, and even after death, many parents chose not to do a biopsy anyway.

I think about Sophie's last day here on Earth. Obviously her physical condition had deteriorated, and we could have known that her days were numbered. But because she seemed to be having a few better days, we thought she would be with us a while longer.

In fact, the afternoon that she died, we went to a picnic that was hosted by some of Marc's co-workers and their families. There, Sophie rode reclined in her stroller, and although she was a little apprehensive about where we were going, she enjoyed some bites of a hot dog, hamburger, chips, and even some ginger ale. I was surprised and impressed with how she was able to chew and swallow some food, as she had been having increased difficulty doing so.

I replay that day over and over in my mind because I had a hair appointment that day. I left the picnic and Marc stayed with Sophie and Sarah, and his Aunt Margaux who had gone to help. Over and over I tell myself I wish I had stayed and spent the rest of the afternoon with her. You know what they say about hindsight. When I returned home from my appointment, Marc was cleaning up a little because Sophie had thrown up. He had bathed her, and wiped up the mess on the chair and floor, while Aunt Margaux occupied Sarah. Margaux had Sarah up on the bed with Sophie and they were being silly. Sophie was trying to hold Sarah's hand, and it's a picture I will have forever in my mind.

I curled up with Sophie for a minute, and Marc left with Sarah to go to the store to get a new computer for me because my other one had crashed. Marc also often says he never would have left if he knew what was going to unfold later that night.
As I cuddled with Sophie, she fell asleep around 6:30. I got up and got a few chores done, and would periodically go in to check on Sophie. A few times, she had her eyes open and would reach for me like she always did, and I would lay down with her until she fell back to sleep. I thought this would be another "normal" night.

Marc came back with the computer, bathed Sarah and put her to bed, and began unpacking things. Around 8:30, my friend Andrea arrived because she was planning on staying with us the next day to spend time with Sophie and help out. We talked for a while in the kitchen, and then it was time for Sophie's PER treatment. Marc said he was going to bed (it was his turn to sleep in Sophie's room, while I slept downstairs with her.) I turned on the machine and went through the treatment. Sophie didn't open her eyes, but I was not surprised because there were times before that she would not wake up for the treatment if she had been sleeping.

Andrea and I sat on the bed after the treatments and watched Sophie. Her eye began to water, and she made a few rustling sounds in her throat. I tried to wake her, but she didn't really respond. She briefly opened her eyes, and then I remember saying to Andrea, "Does she look blue to you?" She said to turn on the lights (because we only had the night light on). I ran upstairs and got Marc who flew down the stairs.

When we got back to the bedroom, it was clear that Sophie was blue, around her nose, and on her nailbeds. It took us a minute to get the oxygen machine going because we had had it for a couple months and had not had to use it. Once we figured that out, Sophie regained her color, but didn't open her eyes.

We tried to wake her, and although she never opened her eyes, she did squeeze my hand when I told her to squeeze it if she could hear me.

We called my parents in Michigan and told them how Sophie's condition had changed. They said they were getting in the car right away to head to Cleveland.

I called Megan and asked her to come look at Sophie and tell me what she thought. (We really hadn't had any "scary" times with Sophie up to this point, and were really just looking for reassurance that this was "normal.") Megan said she would come right away, and in the meantime we called hospice to come and look at her. Unfortunately, the on-call hospice nurse was at least an hour away, so we were on pins and needles waiting for a "medical" evaluation. When Megan got there, her initial thought was that Sophie "looked good." She said she thought her breathing was a little shallow, but nothing like how it gets at "the end." I was a little relieved and we just sat with Sophie still trying to rouse her.

At this time it was about 10:00pm. We rubbed Sophie's legs and hands and told her how beautiful and special she was, not knowing if this was our last chance to talk to her. We told her that it was okay to go and see Jesus, and that if she saw Him to not be afraid and that we would always be with her. We were afraid to move her because we didn't know if a change in position would cause the tumor to press on a place that would make breathing difficult. We had the oxygen going, but at one point she started to turn blue again, and then she stopped breathing. We just sort of sat there in disbelief, and then I began to panic and have the "oh no, this is NOT happening right now thoughts." Megan suggested to Marc that maybe he would want to start mouth to mouth. He did that a couple times and then she seemed okay. It amazed me how fast I settled down and went into "take care of Sophie mode" when all I really wanted to do was scream at the top of my lungs.

We talked to Sophie some more, and she began to make a few gurgling noises. We decided to use the suction and for the first time ever, the "stuff" coming up had a brown tint to it. I was frightened, although Megan said it can be like that if there is fluid in the lungs (which Sophie had not had up to that point.)

I remember really having to go to the bathroom but I was scared to leave her. I really thought I would have an accident if I didn't go, so I went, while Andrea kept yelling at me to hurry.

Right before the hospice nurse arrived a little after 11:00.pm, Sophie seemed a little better. At 11:17pm I mentioned to Marc that it was good, because we made it past 11:11. (With all the times we had been seeing 11:11, we had it in the back of our minds that would be the day or time something would happen.) She wasn't making the noises and her color was better. When the hospice nurse took Sophie's vitals, she said Sophie's pulse was not real strong and that her breathing was shallow. Soon after, Sophie starting taking these heaving breaths. I looked at the nurse with wide, scared eyes, and she said, "this is what happens at the end."

Megan encouraged me to place Sophie in my arms, even though I was afraid of hurting her or her breathing. Megan and Andrea and the hospice nurse left Marc and me alone with Sophie. Sophie continued to take a deep heaving breath (a sound I will always remember) every few seconds. Through our tears and shaky voices, we continued to hold her and tell her we love her. Marc sang his rendition of "hush little Sophie" that he had sung to her many times in her four years. I had a very hard time containing myself then, and I just prayed and prayed that she wasn't in any pain. Breath after agonizing breath, we tried to comfort her and said, "it's okay, Sophie. Mommy and Daddy are here. You'll be okay," I flash backed to all the days of doctors and nurses appointments when I told her the same things. I always felt that I was providing her with some comfort, but this time was different. I knew in my heart that the only way her suffering would be relieved, and that she would feel true comfort, was to go and be with Jesus. I told her over and over, that I would see her again, and to not be afraid. I asked her to watch over me and I think I even told her that in heaven she wouldn't have her "stupid" tumor.

As the minutes passed, the seconds between each breath became longer, and the breaths became softer. I remember thinking, "How long does this part last?" because I always thought it was a couple breaths and then no more. I was worried that Sophie was scared to "cross over" and I longed to be able to make the transition with her. We have never felt so helpless, and this day made the day of diagnosis a walk in the park. Sophie took a breath and then waited a good 10 seconds to take her last quiet Earthly breath. I was cradling Sophie like I had when she was first born when the hospice nurse came back in. She looked at Sophie and asked us if she could listen for a pulse. She did, and there was none. She declared the time of death 11:55pm October 6, 2007. (Megan later told me, that during the half hour when Sophie was struggling to breathe, she prayed to Maria, to "Come and help your friend Sophie." When we put the events in order, we realized that Megan's prayer took place minutes before Sophie left this Earth.)

At that moment, time stood still, the shock set in and I was literally in a daze. Much of what happened after that I barely remember.

I do remember trying to figure out what paperwork we needed for the biopsy. But I never left the room with Sophie. Marc held her for a while, and then people started coming. It was weird. Like when you have a baby, everyone comes to see you in bed, but this time, my baby was dead. It was odd. Marc and I desperately wanted to allow family to see Sophie one last time, but at the same time, the moment was so intimate, and one we knew we would never get back.

Fr. Tim came to the house, and he prayed with us. He shared some comforting thoughts and offered to help in any way he could. (We took him up on that, because we couldn't get the fax to go through, so he offered to go back to the church and wait for it, and then bring it back.)

Somebody asked if we wanted to wake Sarah so she could see Sophie one last time. We said, "No," knowing that we would never get her back to sleep. In that instant, we heard Sarah cry out loudly on the monitor and then go back to sleep.

Family came in crying and touching Sophie. Somebody eventually suggested that maybe Marc and I would want more time alone with her and that was nice. Sophie began to lose the color in her face, and the skin on her legs and feet became splotchy where the blood had pooled. And even though she was dead, I remember thinking how gorgeous she looked. She wasn't blue, more white, almost glowing.

We had to decide on what funeral home to call. And then they arrived in no time. And we waited, and waited for the paperwork to come through for the biopsy. Many times, when the process was taking so long, I thought about saying "forget it" but we didn't. Side note- When we first agreed to the biopsy, I understood that a small sample wold be taken using a needle inserted at the back of her head. When I saw Sophie the first time at the funeral home, I was able to see a thick rope like stitching from ear to ear. (You really had to look close for this; not everyone could see it.) I wondered why that was there, and later learned that they had taken the entire tumor. It's pretty morbid to think of your four year old daughter's skull being opened, but when I think about it today, six months after her death, a part of me is relieved that we did get that tumor out of her head!

After a few hours..it was around 3:00am. We felt that it was time to let her go. How I made that decision, I will never know, because the minute she was gone, I wanted her back. Marc carried her outside with everyone watching. I am thankful that it was the middle of the night, because it would have been quite an ordeal. I was shocked and saddened to see a hearse in my driveway. The funeral director got the stretcher out and said to lay her down when we were ready. Marc did and we tucked her all in up to her chin. It was a little chilly, and I felt strange not putting a coat on her.

The hospice nurse called Marc and me over for one last signature to authorize the biopsy, and said, "I am sorry for your loss." and then that was it.

We stood next to the stretcher and talked to her for the last time. I remember feeling like she wasn't really there in her body, yet that she was watching over us from one of the many stars in the sky that night.

Everyone was still watching us. Unless you have lost a child, you won't understand this, but Marc and I couldn't say anything to anyone. We just wanted to be alone. We didn't even know what to say to each other. I felt as though I wasn't really there, like I was watching this happen to somebody else.

My parents offered to follow the hearse down to the hospital in Akron, with my specific directions to make sure they took good care of Sophie. It was strange not going with her to the hospital, because I had taken her to every visit. I wanted to go too, but I just didn't have it in me. I don't think I watched them pull away. We went inside, and then we asked everybody to leave, except my friend Andrea because we were worried about her driving back to MI all alone at 4:00 in the morning.

When we got back inside, I immediately started cleaning. We wanted everything that had to do with this illness gone, we took all the hospice equipment and medicine out to the garage. The kitchen was messy from all the people in and out. I just felt empty and didn't know what to do. I remember picking up water bottles and wiping down the counter. I wasn't tired, I was going on adrenaline. After I did all I could find to do, I laid down in bed and cried. I cried like I never cried before. I remember thinking, "I cannot believe this just happened." I knew in my mind that Sophie had been dying since the day she was diagnosed, but something prevented me from really grasping that, as we went through all the motions of caring for her day to day.

I realize there are just some things in life we will never understand, and this whole ordeal is one of them. What I have come to understand, is that there is a lot that we all can learn from this, and a lot we can do to help those afflicted and to search for a cure.

When I went with Sarah to the cemetery yesterday, the sun was shining and there were ducks and geese in the pond. The snow had melted and I really felt a sense of comfort being there. Maybe because it was a little warmer, and I didn't worry about how freezing cold it must be six feet under. Sophie is with me every day and gives me guidance when I need it most. Not many people are as lucky as I am to have the honor of being the mother of a saint. I love you and miss you Sophie Girl!

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily,

Your post has left me nearly speechless. I felt the need to post but all I can say is thank you for sharing and may God forever bless your family.

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,

Oh how this post had me sobbing, sobbing for you and Marc and sobbing for little Sophie. I'm just speechless. Thank you for sharing your heart Emily, it was beautiful. You really have the ability to express yourself well with candor and honesty. I pray God will use that in you to help find a cure and make this childhood cancer known! I consider it an honor to have such a beautiful reminder of Sophie on my car to bring awareness to others, I truly mean that. May God continue to strenghten you and Marc as you fight for the other children like Sophie. God bless you!!

Molly Kofchur (:

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I must have opened this shortly after you posted your comment. Being in Avon Lake, I think of you and the McNamaras often. I am so moved by the strength that you have shown through this whole ordeal. Please know that you have made such a difference in the lives of many. You constantly cause me to step back and reevaluate / reprioritize my life. I have four young children of my own and can't imagine what you and your husband have experienced. Thank you for sharing your experience, no matter how painful, with all of us. I cried for you tonight. I will continue to pray for you and your family. Sophie was truly a gift from God.

Anonymous said...

Tears roll down my face when I remember that night... listening to Marc singing aloud and you encouraging your baby girl to "run to Jesus." You reassured her that she will always be with you, right inside your heart. I will never forget you telling your Sophie Girl what a good big sister she always was to Sarah and what a great babysitter she was to cousin Zach.
You were heros that night. You both made me really proud!
Spending those special days, on my special visits with Sophie in our boat, (your bed) has made me a better Mommy.
xo
als

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say, but I am soo sorry you had to endure this. It took me a long time to get through reading this post through my tears. You are soo strong that you were able to post this part of the journey. No other family or child should have to go through this. I will do my part to help find the cure. Anyone who reads this post will join in to find the cure. Thank you for the post.

Anonymous said...

Certainly there are no words. I'm trying so very much to come up with something, but I'm at a loss.

I've come to think that when your head is cloudy God is trying to speak to your heart. My heart is telling me to let you know that you're all in our prayers. Tonight, tomorrow, and always. May God give you peace that no words can.

Blessings,
Kim and Chris

Max's Family said...

I agree with the previous person. I feel the need to comment, but do not know what to say. Thank you for sharing. My prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

I read your entire post with tears in my eyes and pain in my heart for your loss. You are amazing parents-that comes through each and every post. May Sophie always look after you until the day comes that you are united in heaven.

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I wish I had even one of the right words to say to you. This posting took me so long to get threw because of my tears for all of you.
I'm so sorry you,Marc, and your families had to go threw this terrible ordeal. And my heart breaks for all the other families battleing this terrible cancer. One thing you have to stop doing is tearing yourself apart about what Sophie felt and if she was scared or did you miss anything. Unfortuneately that's in our parents make-up we all do that. You and Marc DID EVERYTHING RIGHT. And don't forget Sophie was God's Brave Little Soul. God was with her constantly helping her threw this. If she woke up and you were asleep, it was O.K. that just gave Sophie more time to talk to God or Our Blessed Lady. God needed Sophie to have perfect parents for this mission and that is what he did, he gave Sophie the best. And God is also with all of you to help you threw this sorrow even though I'm sure it seems like it will never end and naturally baby Sarah will also help Daddy and Mommy.
God Bless all of you, and grant you the peace and serenity you need.
Kathy Auvil

Unknown said...

Emily,
I hurt for you and your family so much right now. I do not even know what to say, except that I will do all of the things you asked in the post, and continue to help raise awareness about DIPG. GIANT HUGS to all of you

Anonymous said...

Oh Emily,
I wish SO much that there was something to take the hurt away.

I feel honored to have read about Sophie's last moments here on Earth, just as I recognize the privilege of having been with Sophie at the picnic on that beautiful October day. As we drove home that day I told Alex I regretted not bringing some books to read to Sophie. It really struck me after being with her how cruel it was that she had lost her physical abilities, but was still the same smart Sophie; how frustrating that must have been for her!
I am looking forward to the meeting on Wednesday and the opportunity to be a part of fighting the DIPG monster.
Thank you for sharing Sophie's story and letting us share it with others!
Paula

Anonymous said...

I, too, felt the need to post, but cant find the right words. Im in sobs for you, your family, and for Sophie. Im incredibly sorry for your loss, and my prayers are with you and your family through this...journey.

God Bless...

Just a smalltown girl said...

We lost our son 2 years ago. As horrible as it is to lose a child, it seems every story I read about THAT day has a familiar feel to it, that gives me some strange comfort. You never want anyone to live that day, but at the same time you are grateful that you aren't the only person on earth to have lived it, if that makes any sense.

Thank you for sharing this with us. I know it was hard for you to write, but at the same time your fingers were probably just flying on the keyboard without any concious effort from you. I am in the process of writing a book on our journey, and that's the way it is for me.

Anyway, I'm rambling as tears stream down my face. Some days I think our babies in heaven have it so easy, never feeling this pain we carry. But their journey was anything but easy.......

Kat

Anonymous said...

My dearest Emily,
Thank you for sharing your most intimate story and your deep feelings. Not many are as brave as both you and Sophie. I want you to know that when I think of Sophie I think happy thoughts of the bright little star she was in our earthly lives. In her short time here she was such a beautiful and inspiring child. I watch those video clips; I look at her pictures; I recall the really fun times we had. I know how she suffered, and yes, I often wondered what she was thinking as her body began to fail her. But today I know she is a bright, shining star in heaven --- cute, funny, happy, laughing, coloring, reading, dancing, playing play-dough and stickers, feeding Hannah Danielle, doing puzzles and sommersaults, saying "look at me".... being her beautiful self.
It was so heart-wrenching to lose Sophie and see her suffer, and it's so heart-wrenching to know how you are suffering and mourning. Thank you for being the wonderful daughter that you are. I love you.
xox
Mom

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I have a little girl, who is now about the same age that Sophie was.

I cannot imagine.

Nothing I can find to say seemes make a difference so know that you inspire me with your faith, honesty, and strength.

Your family is in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily.
My daughter went to preschool with Sophie and she brings her name up often, especially at prayers. She will live on in their hearts.
I wish you peace and comfort in the days ahead. Thank you for sharing, so eloquently, your hardest day.
Love to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could find the words.....We just love you.

Anonymous said...

Really there are no words quite frankly but there are actions and those actions are to make a difference with this disease and make it go AWAY and I wish I could stop crying but I can't imagine crying through the eyes of the parent that is going through that!

I don't know if you remember Ethan Powell www.ethanpowell.com? I asked them to add Sophie back on their friends site after we met so that she could get all the extra prayers needed!!! because you both were at St. Jude. He sadly lost his battle on 4/6 and if its the last breath I take, I will help find a cure to this ugly disease!!!!

I love you guys very much and I can't wait to be there in July!!!!!

Love always,

Cori Lynn Bailey

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily and Marc,

I continue to pray for you and all parents who have suffered the unimaginable loss of a child. Like the other posters, I sobbed while reading about the night Sophie died. May God continue to comfort and strengthen you both.

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily -
My friend's child is dying from DIPG. Sometimes when we talk on the phone, our calls last 10 seconds. I know this is because it is to hard for her to pretend like nothing is wrong, and it is too hard for her to talk about what is going on.

I think during the battle, you parents show the most amazing courage. You have to put your emotions on the shelf and be there for your child. You have to tell them it's ok to go to Jesus - when you don't want to let them go.

It is only after they pass away that you can take the time to experience what you have been thru.
Thank you for giving us a glimpse of your unfathomable pain. You have been through so much but at the same time your message talks about finding the good.

You thought of others - during your worst hour (by donating Sophie's tumor). I pray that doctors find a cure so no other child has to suffer.


"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. " Romans 8:28-32

May God Bless you.

Anonymous said...

As I read your entry every month I am always at my desk crying, but this time, WOW, hearing the story from that day is beyond words. I am speechless. You are such amazing parents! What an inspiration you are to me as a mother. Your courage in sharing your final day with your beautiful little girl is indescribable.

God Bless you Quayle Family!

Christina Gomez

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,

You don't know me, but I know you and Sophie a lot thanks to this website. I know exactly how you feel. My daughter Alicia passed away last november 21th due to a DIPG. While I read your post I saw myself and Alicia during her very last hours. Why? Why did they have to go through all of this? Why did we have to hear their last breath? As you know, there are no answers. I've never felt so close to anyone as I've felt when I read your words.
I know, they are together in heaven.
Love and strength
Gloria (Alicia's mum)
Spain (Europe)

Anonymous said...

Oh. Emily. I'm here, in the library, with the tears streaming down my face. I get the feeling that your fingers were RACING over the keyboard as my eyes were RACING over your words. I'll help you in any way to find a cure. You, Sophie, Marc and Sarah, and your family and friends, sailed over rough seas in your seaworthy boat. Sail on.....you all are so loved. Proudly, Aunt Lynne

Anonymous said...

Even though both you and Marc wish that you wouldn't have left Sophie that last day, I think she was giving you a gift of normalcy and time for both of you to have some time with each of you to be "in charge" and have some specisl time with you. I think her last day was just how it was meant to be. I believe she was waiting until she knew you were okay with her leaving. I feel she had "one foot" here on earth and "another" in the spirit world prepare for the journey to Heaven. She was probably able to swallow better because she was in tune with her spirit and she was enjoyingher last time on Earth. How wonderful that she could have the love and support of both you and Marc as she made her transition. What a beautiful way for her to enter her next phase of "life". You will always be connected. I think she is smiling every time you continue the traditions with Sarah and she will be happy you found the special Christmas book to share with her sister. Best of luck with the fun run/walk. You continue to be in our thoughts. Heather Westendorf

Anonymous said...

Holy....the only word to describe your last hours with your Little Sophie Girl. You holding her and Marc singing her a lullaby as she went to God.... what perfectly wonderful parents you are.

"May the Lord make his face to shine upon you...and bring you peace."

Margo Howlett

Anonymous said...

Emily,
Like others I feel the need to commnet yet don't have the words. Thank you for sharing your intimate story with us. Your openness is inspiring me and I'm sure many others to be a better parent. May God continue to bless you with strength and perservance when needed most. God bless you!

jennifer rogers said...

Emily,
You don't know me, but I found Sophie's website through Ethan Powell's website. I just wanted to tell you thanks for pouring your heart and soul into this last blog. It was the most moving and heartfelt thing I have ever read. Thank you for letting us share those last precious moments with you and your little beautiful Sophie. May God Bless and keep your family.
Jennifer Rogers

Anonymous said...

all I can say is wow...they way your were able to express your deepest feelings is amazing I guess until you actually go through something like this you dont have the words to say...from what it seems to me...your baby girl knew without and doubt that she was a very loved little girl..your an amazing mother to fight for her the way you did and the way you still are...helping finding a cure for other children is the best way to honor her... we have never met but i came across this site about a month after Sophie passed and I've checked back every month since to read your updates on your family... I am a mother of a 7 , 4 and 8 month old and I love them with every breath I take although we've had lots of special times togehter I continue to work hard everyday to make twice as many so when I leave this Earth my children will know and feel that they were loved by their mother as much as you loved your little girl ...people take for granted what they have and since Ive "met" your family I cherish everything I have even more down to being able to walk, situp and tell someone I love them....Thank you for continue to share this angel with us...God Bless you and your family

Anonymous said...

Emily -

Thank you for sharing your story. Again, I'm continually amazed at your strength and faith. You are wonderful parents who do the best for your children! I think about Sophie often, and was proud to receive my car magnet this week. I'm so sorry for the ordeal you and Sophie had to endure. What a special girl she is, watching over everyone from her place in heaven. God Bless you and Sophie!

Lori Hawkins Hachenski

Anonymous said...

I put this in yesterday but it was under an earlier posting. I just wanted you to know that Sunday evening after dinner I was on the way to the club and the people on the street were looking up at the sky. There was a big beautiful rainbow over Seattle and I knew that Sophie was there watching over all of us.
We love you.
Poppy

Anonymous said...

As our Father himself knows the loss of a child, I know there is a special place in Heaven for you and your Sophie when you meet again!

Wishing many blessings for you and yours...

JL in Missouri

Anonymous said...

Emily,

You, Marc and those who knew, love and miss Sophie will be kept in my prayers.

Your Sophie was quite a special girl; what a gift to have been the parents of such an amazing child.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Miss Sophie's spirit shines on.

Anonymous said...

Marc & Emily,
As I read your words of Sophie's last day I was again reminded of the importance of all of us coming together to fight this ugly beast. Count me in, for everything! Kendra

Anonymous said...

Emily,
My heart goes out to you and Marc. Nobody should ever have to experience a night like the one you described. I want you to know that knowing you and knowing what you went through has forever changed my life. I never take a moment with my girls for granted and I know that I do not have a thing to complain about. I pray for a cure of this monster of a disease and for you and your families peace.
Love, Misty

Anonymous said...

Emily and Marc,
Your story was amazing and I can never imagine going through what you did that whole time, especially that night. You are both truly awesome parents and being there for Sophie as she took her last breath is the biggest testement to her as parents. May God keep Sophie next to Him and protect her as they both watch over your family. You are in our prayers daily and we want to do anything we can to help fight this cancer. Thank you for sharing your story. It was truly heart wrenching and amazing and blessed.

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart .. .and thanks for sharing. I know that journey you are on ... as I lost our Katie due to medulloblastoma almost 2 years ago. The memories are hard to control and the nights are the worst .. but God's Grace is good, isnt it!

Michelle
www.prayforkaitlyn.com

Anonymous said...

Oh I too feel the need to post, but don't know what to write. I am sobbing reading this. I am sorry that you don't have your beautiful Sophie with you right now, but I hope you find some comfort that you will be together again some day. God bless you and your family. Thank you for sharing so much.

Anonymous said...

Hi I am praying for your family and healing..Thank you for sharing your post...I have children and somedays are so long and so hard and I take it for granted...I will not take them for granted anymore...I feel blessed. I am sorry for the pain your family has gone through, just know there are people you have never met praying for you! God Bless you Emily..

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing such tender, intimate details of Sophie's life and death. Your words nearly ripped my heart right out of my chest but I know that pain is nothing compared to yours. Sophie was a beautiful little girl who touched many, many more people than you realize. I hope you find peace and comfort. Thank you for sharing your girl with the world.
-LC

Anonymous said...

Wow...reading the comments has brought nearly as many tears as reading your post did. What beautiful words from everyone leaving comments and they're all exactly right - you are extraordinary parents to help your daughter make her transition so peaceful. -LC
P.S. It's obvious that you got your gift of writing from your mother, Emily!

Anonymous said...

God bless you and your familiy. Thank you for opening your hearts and lives to others. I truely believe Sophie continues to live and complete God's work through you.
I will continue to keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing a truly intimate time in your life with us, strangers, to read. Your willingness to share WILL help someone through their struggle. I pray for your family often. God bless!

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I can't even imagine the pain you have been through, and are still going through. You showed your daughter so much love while she was with you here on earth, and I know she couldn't wait to get to heaven and to tell Jesus what an AWESOME Mom she had!! You are an amazing Mom, who never took a moment for granted. May God bless you and your family, and I pray that we will beat this horrible disease!! Know we are all still praying for you and the rest of your family.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it helps (to know) that we are still praying for you.
Each and every night your family is prayed for by name- along with the McNamaras, and the children on ICOULCBEYOURCHILD.org (the list is way too long- but hopefully one day the list could be gone!) I'm also adding you and all the kids from the PrayersfromMaria website to our parsih book of intentions. Although we live in North Carolina-Sophie's 5k will be a part of our summer visit to Ohio this 4th of July. May God continue to bless you with grace and courage.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such an intimate part of Sophie's story. I have never met you but think of you and Sophie often. The other day while driving with my 4 yr old daughter it was raining and the sun was shining. I kept telling her that there HAD to be a rainbow somewhere. Looking for the rainbow made me think of Sophie's story and at that exact moment I thought of her there it was. We pulled over where we could view the entire thing. It was beautiful! You can know that now someone who has never even met Sophie thinks of her and smiles when she finds a rainbow. THANK YOU! She has put joy into something that in our busy world usually gets overlooked. My prayers are with you, your family and Sophie.

Anonymous said...

I am so touched after reading your story of the night Sophie died. We lost my 3 year old niece last June and the beautiful way you express your sentiments and thoughts of that night in some way helps and lets us know we are not alone in something so disorienting and unexplainable. Thank you for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your most incredible journey.Yes, Sophie is a Saint, but so is her mother! You are a inspiration to all mothers. I pray for you and will light a candle for Sophie on Sunday.

Rachel Dominguez said...

Just catching up and I must say....Tears are flowing. I could hardly read this post and all I could think of is having to do this with one of my children. You and Marc are so strong and Sophie was so lucky to have you by her side! What wonderful human beings you are.

God Bless you all!!!

Rachel