Friday, March 23, 2007

Friday, March 23, 2007


Another week has come and gone. Sophie has now completed 13 radiation treatments, and we are starting to see some small changes which seem to have happened overnight. Sophie has a tiny bit of her smile back; when I say tiny, I mean tiny. She is walking more; still with a limp and off balance, but at least she is willing to try. Her personality and anxiety are improving. She went to the zoo on Tuesday afternoon with Grandma, Grandpa, and Daddy. I stayed home with Sarah who was supposed to be taking a nap so I could get some rest; that didn't happen, but it was good to see Sophie go somewhere without me. Yesterday she went on a walk down to the river with just Grandma and Grandpa for a little evening picnic, even after I said I was staying here. We aren't sure if the changes are because of the radiation, or because we got the okay on Thursday to reduce her steroid dose to 4mg a day. We are leaning toward crediting the radiation with the improvement because 4mg of decadron was the amount that she was taking when we got here, and she was terribly anxious and pretty close to bi polar! I am surely grateful for the little things!

Her sleep habits are about the same. Last night I counted the number of times she woke up in the middle of the night between 10:30pm and 1:00am. She sat up 8 times - either having to go to the bathroom or asking for a drink. She did sleep from 2:00-4:00am though...at least I think she did because I know I didn't look at the clock during those hours! I'm hoping she will start sleeping better as the radiation progresses. She hasn't been as tired during the day so she hasn't taken a nap the past couple of days. There have been times at night when she will agree to lay down without me, and sometimes she actually falls asleep without me in bed with her.

We've had a few delays in the actual radiation procedure due to the increase in the size of Sophie's face. Her cheeks and chin are pretty big. Now when she comes out of recovery, she has little dots all over her face from the mask (which slightly resembles a plastic screen.) She is almost unrecognizable to me. We're hoping that she will begin to lose some of the weight now that we have reduced the steroids, and now that she is moving around a little more. If not, they will do another simulation and make a new mask and realign the radiation points. This would not delay the completion of her treatment, but would require her to be sedated longer.

Sophie had an unbelievable time with Aunt Leslie, and now my friends Jen and Lance are here, and I can hear Sophie cracking up while painting in the other room, and that brings a HUGE smile to my face. My sister Sarah comes tomorrow and will be here through next Sunday. It has been a blessing to have Leslie, Jen and Lance and now Sarah take time out of their busy lives to come here, dedicate their time to making Sophie laugh, and offer to help in any way. Again, God is showing us his love through others.

Marc went home to Avon Lake to work for a week and to take care of all the things we had left unfinished when we dropped everything to come here. He will stay there through next week end so he can attend the K of C fundraiser on March 31 and then will come back for the remainder of the treatment. Say an extra prayer for Marc, who has said it has been extremely hard to be back home and to see all the pictures of our old Sophie all over the house. I think it must be so difficult to be there alone with no kids demanding his time 100% of the day. We can't wait to have him back.

Sophie is still having a hard time dealing with her port. Even during the week when it is accessed, she'll cry at just the thought of having to lift her shirt. This breaks my heart because she gets so nervous and self conscious. The needle was removed after her radiation this morning so I thought she would be excited to really get in the tub. She wasn't, and it took us convincing her that she could wear her swimming suit and pretend she was at the beach to get her to agree. I keep thinking that she will get used to the idea of the port, but she seems to be getting worse.

Right now she is talking about all the food she can eat in the morning because it is Saturday and she doesn't have to wait to eat. So unfortunately her appetite is still insatiable. Again, we are hoping that the reduction in steroids will help; she continues to want to eat and eat until she is stuffed. Grandma introduced Sophie to a "special candy bar" - PRUNES! We've really pulled the wool over her eyes; she continues to eat them which has been helping her digestion.

We are grateful for all the kind thoughts, words, and prayers, as well as for the packages that continue to come in the mail. We definitely still need the prayers; they are getting us through the days. Please say an extra prayer that these wonderful doctors and researchers will be filled with the knowledge to find a cure for this horrible disease, so that Sophie and all the other children suffering will be cured.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sophie,

I just want to say how much I miss you and how much I love you. I am so sad to be so far away. You are my little princess.

I'm sitting at "daddy's computer" and thinking about how you use to sit on my lap and we would go to google.com to see Elmo and Dora. You always amazed me how you could use the mouse to point and click your way around the different games.

I'm also thinking about hearing your little footsteps coming down the stairs in the morning and peeking your head into my office...you would come in and sit on my lap and give me a big hug. I would have a big smile the rest of the day!

I can't wait unitl we are all back home in Avon Lake. Here is a list of fun things things we are going to do:

1) go to google.com
2) go to the westwinds pool
3) go to Cedar Point
4) go to the RED park
5) go to the BAY park
6) look for treasure on the beach
7) go to Mally's
8) go to Coldstone
9) go to Kalahari
10) go to the bookstore
11) play Dora house
12) teach Sarah how to play Dora house
13) build a fort
14) go to Panera
15) lot's of hugs & kisses

Boy...we are going to be busy! Take care of mommy and give her a kiss for me. You mommy is really amazing and I love her so much.

I love you and I'll see you next Sunday.

Daddy

Anonymous said...

I learned of your website through an email prayer request that was sent to me. I am so touched by the struggle your family is going through. I am the mother of a 4 year old little girl, and can't imagine how hard this all must be. I live in Trenton, and work for the city of Dearborn and the City of Riverview. I would love to help contribute to your fundraising in any way possible, and know that in my 2 depts we have the means to do so. Please contact me by email if we can help. It would be our honor to do so. God Bless you.

firedeptprincess14@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Reading Marc's letter to Sophie just breaks my heart; to see one's child in such mental anguish and pain is unberable. I love you all so much and I am so very thankful for the immense love that you have for one another. Stay strong and tightly bound together. What you have together is in itself a miracle. I believe that you will get through this stronger than ever. I couldn't love you more.

Anonymous said...

I found this site through a friend who belongs to your PTA group. My heart breaks knowing what you are going through, I have two small boys. I pray that a cure is found for this horrible cancer and hope that Sophie heals quickly. It sounds like daddy has a long list of fun for your return. Many blessings to you all.

Anonymous said...

You don't know us, but wanted you to know that your family, Sophie and the Doctors are all on our prayer list at church. We continue to pray for a Miracle for Sophie and wisdom for the doctors. We are blessed by your hope.

Anonymous said...

To The Quayle Family:

I am a student at St. Raphael School. My family has been keeping up with the story of Maria McNamara since she was first diagnosed almost a year ago. My family and I were devastated when we heard about your Sophie. I pray for you and Sophie daily and am hoping for a miracle to pull through.
Keep the faith and God Bless!

Anonymous said...

It's fantastic to hear that Sophie is responding to the treatment already! We're praying that these may be sending her on the path to recovery. We hope that you have a wonderful week with Sarah and are finding renewed hope in all the good moments.

Blessings,
Kim, Chris, Grace, Reagan & Kayla

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28

Sophie's Aunt Leslie said...

Marc and Emily-

You both are an inspiration to me. The love, the patience, the empathy, the strength and the will that I witnessed from you both when I was there is incredible. You both are doing such a great job! Emily, you are wonderful how you can be exhausted, Sophie wakes up at all hours, and you still have a huge smile on your face for her, a spring in your step, and the creativity to make everything fun. Marc, you are such a loving and fun dad. I watched as you played on the floor with Sarah, or took her for a walk late at night when she was restless, made Sophie a charm bracelet out of paper and played fun counting games with her noodles to try and hold her over...which worked and she really enjoyed playing! It was cute to hear her ask how many noodles she was up to and respond by saying she is holding out for more!

I miss you all...it is so hard to be so far away. I look forward to hearing about more progress with Sophie's symptoms this week. The "tiny" smile is only going to get bigger and bigger!

I love you all and please give big hugs and kisses to Sophie and Sarah for me!

Anonymous said...

Hello..I wanted to leave this poem for you someone sent to me...Will be saying a million special prayers for you... "Riding The Storm"

Copyright© Michael McHugh

The winds howled and the sky grew dark.
The storm hit and we were the mark.
The winds blew with exceeding force.
The storm would set our lives off course.

I begged this storm to not strike us, please.
For this storm was truly a terrible disease.
It hits with sudden force and there is no protection.
It is not choosy in making its selection.

Once chosen by this storm, there is no going back.
Your life will continually follow the treatment track.
Treatment is a battle with more than one side-effect.
And there is no guarantee of which plan will be correct.

The storm will ravage psyches of kids and spouses.
And lives will forever be changed inside those houses.
Hospitals, doctors, and prescriptions become a way of life.
And you will need to learn to handle emotional strife.

As the storm passes, rays of hope will appear.
But the threat of ensuing storms remain with those that are dear.
The sun will shine and life will be good.
Yet, the fear of wind and rain is always understood

Only God knows if the skies will remain blue.
Faith in Him must always shine through.


Blessings ConnieJo mommy to Skylar~Jade www.caringbridge.org/visit/skylarjademaxson

Anonymous said...

Dear Sophie and Family,

I am a senior in high school in Eastlake, Ohio. My friend's little brother attends pre-school with Sophie. My friend and one of her friends are running a fundraiser, which I will be donating to. That is how I found out about this site.

I have a very large soft spot in my heart for kids with tumors and/or cancer. I hate that anyone has to deal with these terrible diseases and treatments, especially kids. And for some reason it always seems to be the best of kids that have to go through it.

Back in 8th grade, I had a friend in 7th grade who was diagnosed with cancer. He was well known around the city and schools for being such a kind, caring, intelligent, and just overall outstanding kid. Everyone knew him and everyone loved him. He fought a long and hard battle until he passed away in May of 2005 when he was a freshman in high school. It was extremely hard, but we all had to realize that as much as we hated how he never got the miracle that he deserved, he was finally at ease. He was no longer sufferring and we came to the conclusion that God must have had a much better plan for him in heaven after saving him from the pain he endured on earth.

I now have another friend with 4th stage cancer. It's hard, but I am always supporting her, which helps her and her family so unbelieveably much.

I know that this is a very long and hard process for all of you but I promise you that one day it really will get better. I pray that Sophie will get the miracle that she deserves. Until then, keep fighting and just remember that there's a whole lot of people who are keeping her and the rest of your family in their thoughts and prayers.

Good luck with everything!
God Bless!

Sincerely,
Jessica Sheplavy

Anonymous said...

Marc and Emily,

Every time I think about the both of you, I think about what perfect parents you are to your children. You are going through so much, but are facing it with such strength and love. Sophie and Sarah are both so precious. I love them both, but Sophie I hold so dear to my heart since I have gotten to know her. I can't wait until you guys come home! Please know we are thinking about you always and pray a cure will come.

Much love,
Emily and Geoff

Anonymous said...

Marc & Emily,
My friend informed me that last week he put Sophie's name on St.Raphaels Church in Westlake prayer list. It is easier said than done, but keep the faith that everything will be O.K. The fact that Sophie is walking a little better and using her hand more seems to me is a sign that something good is happening. Emily I like your idea about getting to Washington for there help with this terrible cancer. I will see what we can do to get that started. My prayers are always with all of you.
Kathy Auvil