Tuesday, April 17, 2007

2 days left...not that we are counting!


2 days left! It’s been 56 days since Sophie was diagnosed. 56 days since our lives took an unexpected turn. Actually, we have spent 40 full days receiving some form of medical treatment at either St. Jude or in Cleveland. I’m currently reading “The Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren. In the book, he says The Bible is clear that God considers 40 days a spiritually significant period of time; “Whenever God wanted to prepare someone for his purposes, he took 40 days...” This has definitely been a spiritual time for all of us.

The last few days have been especially busy. Emily’s parents left on Friday and we now fully recognize just how much they helped. They were amazing. The apartment was always clean. The fridge was always stocked. The laundry was always done. Meals were always prepared. Most importantly, Sophie loved playing with Grandma and Grandpa! Thanks Mom and Dad for all you have done and all that you continue to do.

St. Jude has been amazing. What an incredible place. I am convinced that Sophie has received the absolute best care in the country. Sophie’s treatment would have been the same had we stayed in Cleveland (31 days of radiation), but how the treatment was administered and the environment is what really separates St. Jude. Sophie told us at dinner tonight that she “likes St. Jude” and proceeded to talk about all the different doctors and nurses. She is no longer anxious and actually looks forward to her “sleepy medicine.” We are grateful for our time and treatment here at St. Jude, but we are excited to go home!

We found out today that we will be back in Memphis on May 3rd for our 1st post treatment MRI. It should be a quick trip. We’ll come in the night before and leave following treatment the next day. We are more than just a little nervous. The doctor continues to tell us that the tumor may still appear “angry” and that we should not be disappointed if the tumor is unchanged or even slightly larger. He went on to say that it typically takes 8 -12 weeks post radiation to get a good snapshot.

Sophie improves more each day. Her improved strength and stamina is what really amazes me. Yesterday, we walked along the river (3.5 mile walk), and Sophie walked at least a ½ mile! Her personality is back and she is sleeping through the night again. The only area where we have not seen much improvement is the weakness on the right side of her body. Her walk is still affected and, unless prompted, she will not use her right arm or hand. We pray that the radiation will continue to work and that eventually that symptom will improve also.

I’m sure Emily will post an update once we are back in Avon Lake and we will continue to use this site to keep everyone informed about Sophie’s miracle. I just want to thank all of you for the support and prayers over the last 56 days. That support and all those prayers helped us survive. THANKS!

13 comments:

the editor said...

Sophie obviously has so many people who love her (even those of us who've never met her)!
We look forward to hearing about continued improvements.
God bless you all!

Anonymous said...

So good to hear that things are proceeding on schedule. Have a safe trip home!
Paula

Anonymous said...

We are so happy to hear of Sophie's improvements! Please keep us posted on what we can do in Avon Lake as you make your transition back home!
God bless,
Laurann, Mike, Abby, Bridget, and Kevin

Anonymous said...

Have a safe and wonderful trip HOME!

Hugs and Love
The Simmons' Family

Anonymous said...

You were always special to me Marc. You were such a sweet little boy and I can tell what a really good man you are. God bless you and your beautiful family. I believe grandma Appell and mom are looking after you. Love, your aunt Lynne

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip home. I can only imagine Sophie's excitement when she walks through the front door! We love you.

Anonymous said...

We are so glad to hear that Sophie is still improving. Have a safe trip home. We will keep you in our thourghts and our prayers.
God Bless.
Cindee, John and Justin Jereb

Anonymous said...

"AN ANGEL WALKS BESIDE ME"


An angel walks beside me,
I feel him everyday,
he helps me through lives ups and downs,
and whatever comes my way.
He guides me down the road of life,
and lights the darkest roads,
he picks me up and carries me,
when I can not bear the load.
He helps to ease the pain I feel,
he mends my spirit, too,
he holds my hand, and shelters me,
and gives me courage and strength, too.
He speaks to me with words of love,
and he listens to my pleas,
he was sent here from the lord above,
to guide and comfort me.
I know he's always watching,
though his form I can not see,
its a peace I feel deep in my heart,
that leads me to believe.
An angel walks beside me,
I feel blessed everyday,
that the presence of this angel,
will never go away.
Praying a million prayers for you sweet princess...Love ConnieJo www.caringbridge.org/visit/skylarjademaxson

Anonymous said...

Hi Marc & Emily,

It has been a while, but hello.

I met with Tejal Modi yesterday and she shared with me your news about Sophie and gave me your web address.

Thank you for so beautifully sharing Sophie's story and your journey.

I will have a mass of special intention said for Sophie here at Xavier. My donation will soon be forthcoming.

If possible, let me know Sophie's size as she is in need of a Xavier t-shirt.

You are all in my prayers. If there is anything I or Xavier or the Williams College can do, just let me know.

God bless and take care.

Jen Bush
bush@xavier.edu

Anonymous said...

Gog Bless you with a safe journey home. We continue to pray for Sophie's Miracle.
The Dorsky Family

Anonymous said...

We hope that you had a safe trip, and that you're all adjusting to life in Avon Lake again. Please let us know if we can be of any help!

Blessings,
Kim, Chris, Grace, Rea & Kayla

Anonymous said...

Our Prayers are with you and your family, God Bless You!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marc,

Just thinking about you and your family. I hope all is well. God Bless!

Phil and Lisa