Monday, April 2, 2007

Please Pray All Day on Tuesday




Hello everyone. I'm glad Marc posted last night. Although I do like keeping everyone informed, I also like to be able to sit back sometimes and see the situation from another viewpoint.

After our appointments tomorrow, we are headed to Brentwood, TN to meet with a spiritual healer that we heard about through my Mom's neighbor. He said he doesn't know how to explain the gift he has, but that he has seen some amazing things happen. We believe him, so Marc, Sophie and I will make the 3 1/2 hour drive, meet with him, and then stay in a hotel overnight. We'll have to get up real early to return back to Memphis for our 10:00am appointment on Wednesday, but we don't mind. His words were "there is power in numbers" and he suggested that we ask everyone we know, and even those we don't, to pray all day for Sophie, especially at 7:00pm.

My sister left on Sunday (after being here for nine days) just a few hours before my friend Andrea arrived. Sarah, of course was a HUGE help, as she has been throughout this entire ordeal. Sophie LOVED playing with her, and we all loved and appreciated her help with all the other boring but necessary tasks that go into living in our temporary home, as well as caring for a less than 100% 3 year old, as well as an almost nine month old who has just learned to crawl and is making her way all around this apartment! My sister Sarah was able to come to St. Jude's with me for a couple appointments, and she also ran many errands. She slept in bed with Sophie and me, which was quite a feat considering Sophie takes up the majority of the bed, and my sister is now almost 30 weeks pregnant! Sarah got to experience Sophie's multiple nightly wakings, and Sophie even allowed Sarah to take her to the bathroom a couple times. It was a small but much appreciated break for me. I know Uncle Matt really missed her while she was gone, and we appreciate their sacrifices because Sarah does not get paid when she is not working.

Andrea's visit was short but so sweet. She was here, just 30 hours but did so much. My parents and sister went to church on Saturday night so that Sarah would be ready to leave for the airport at 8:00am and also so my Dad would be able to pick up Andrea at 10:30am. I stayed "home" with my 2 girls alone for the first time since diagnosis; it was definitely much different than it was when we were home in Avon Lake! They were both pretty needy at first, but eventually settled down. I went to church alone on Sunday and when I walked in the door from church, I was anxious to see how Sophie would be responding to Andrea being here. I walked into the bedroom - they were in the closet, or as they called it "the office" doing crafts with all the supplies that Andrea brought. Sophie told me to "go on out". I am thrilled that Sophie is willing to play and interact with others; unfortunately I still get all the trips to the potty, as well as the trips to St. Jude for appointments when Sophie is far from happy.

We ventured out on Sunday afternoon; the weather was amazing. We drove downtown, went on a carriage ride, stopped at the Crepe Maker, saw the ducks at The Peabody, and walked around the mall with both girls in tow. Boy was I glad to have my family and Andrea with me! Two strollers and all the belongings seemed like a lot to manage for one person! Anyway, the week end was fun and we are so grateful for all of you family and friends who give so unselfishly. Andrea treated my Mom and me to foot massages and we stayed up talking until 1:30 am. Andrea cooked a couple great dinners, and as I type, my family is enjoying the pot roast and vegetables she put in the oven to cook this afternoon as she headed out the door to the airport.

From the medical front, we are still down on the decadron to 2mg a day. Friday was the first day of this dose, and I was a little nervous on Saturday morning, because Sophie's breathing seemed labored and she was extra grumpy. I gave her an additional 1/2 milligram...just for peace of mind. She perked up; I'm not sure if it was because of the additional decadron or because we had a mini picnic and played at the Ronald McDonald playground before the rain moved in. Other than the above, her symptoms remain the same, except for some significant improvement in the use of her right hand, and in her smile. She has been doing much better in physical therapy, and tried a few times today to walk the bridge without my assistance. It is still hard to watch my daughter struggle to stay on the balance beam after watching her in gymnastics less than a year ago, flying down the high beam and jumping off the end.

Her symptoms seem to be improving differently from how the doctors told us. We were told that her limp and balance would improve first, and her smile last. I think we have had so many people playing with her and making her laugh lately, that her smile can't help but improve!

Today was pretty typical for a Monday. We had the usual weekly struggle with the port access. I try to comfort her, but she starts with her, "I don't want to lift my shirt." even before we leave the apartment. And when she sees me coming with the numbing cream and band-aid, she starts whining. For the most part, I still can't get a word in. She tells me, "No, don't talk, just make them close my shirt."

Tomorrow we have labs before radiation which is another sore spot. Something about watching your own blood going into a tube from another tube in your chest just really puts Sophie over the edge. We could use some extra prayers at 10:15am!

I will reiterate the gratitude that Marc expressed in yesterday's post. Although I did not witness the event, everyone told me how truly amazing it was. I've heard from many people how well organized it was, and how everyone was so kind and generous and most importantly how many people said they were inspired by Sophie's story. I hear Sophie IS making a difference in this world. Just as I always knew she would. We are so grateful for those of you who had big "jobs" but also for those of you who had small "jobs." We know it was the work of the "team" that made the event a success.

Please please join us in prayer for Sophie's healing all day Tuesday and especially at 7:00pm as we venture down another road in attempt of finding our miracle.

Thanks again, from the bottom of our hearts to all of you who are supporting us in a million different ways. We realize the sacrifices that many of you make, including time away from your own families and work, in order to dedicate yourselves to helping us. Please keep the faith and keep praying for Sophie's miracle.

20 comments:

Sophie's Aunt Leslie said...

It is so nice to read your latest update. It is comforting knowing all the love and support you are being provided from friends and family. I'm so glad to hear of Sophie's progress. I look forward to seeing her beautiful smile soon! We will say a special prayer tomorrow around 7PM for Sophie. In fact, we will do it before Owen's bedtime since 7PM for you is really 8PM for us. We love and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Tuesday is officially "Sophie Day!" We will spread the word so that Heaven will be flooded with prayers for Sophie. Can't think of a better time than during Holy Week for some miraculous healing to occur!
Safe travels,
Paula and family

Anonymous said...

You have prayers coming from out here all day long......extra special ones at 4:P.M. Seattle time. Hug and kiss the girls for us. We love you all so much.

Anonymous said...

To the Quayle family,

I have been following Sophie's story after hearing about her from Maria's website. I love reading the updates, they makes me stop and think about my life and my kids, and praying for Sophie and Maria has become second-nature for me. The girls are always my intention at Mass, and I pray for them daily, especially to St. Jude. I will pray extra-hard today and tonight. Your faith and strength are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Count us in on Tuesday. I volunteer at ST. Mary's hospital in Saginaw and will make a couple of visits to their chapel. Maybe I can even find a couple of nuns and chaplains floating around to join in the cause. You remain in our hearts,thoughts and prayers.


Mary and Don Burnham

Anonymous said...

We will be saying a special prayer for you all around 1015am for the blood draw and at 7pm for healing. Your strength is amazing to me in this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

I will pray my heart out for Sophie!! God Bless.
Jean Avon Lake

Anonymous said...

Emily and Marc,

Two of my dear friends are energy healers and may I say, the grandest thing with this is your attitude. Obviously you believe in this form of the healing arts and for that you are on the right tract. Continue to be positive! Eliminate all negative thoughts everywhere in your lives. Remember the Universal Law of Attraction, what you think about you bring about...what you think about, you become. You mentioned the laughter that Emily expresses a great deal, double it. Always sing and dance! And visualize that tumor shrinking. Get into quiet meditation and use your powerful thought and visions to see it go away. Your consciousness must be one of continuous positive energies flowing around you at all times. I'm sure it is :-) All of your names go into the prayer capsule at Renaissance Unity in Warren (where I attend) each Sunday. I'm holding you all in my heart, and so it is.

Anonymous said...

Please bless the Quayle family. May Sophie continue to show physical improvements. Melt the ice cube so that she may make a full recovery.

All our love, hugs, and prayers
The Simmons' Family

Anonymous said...

Marc, Emily, Sophie, and Sarah
The Miller family answered the call and invited many friends to do the same this evening at 7. What an overwhelming request for your miracle to be delivered it must have been. Your strength and patience has been an example for all to follow. The support and love by all who have been touched by Sophie's story has been amazing. As you read the posting of the prayers that were offered tonight we hope it allows your family to be comforted knowing your requests have been answered in many different places, by many different people in many different ways!

Our calendar for April provides this message: HOPE - Sunshine Always Follows the Rain... May your future be bright with many rays of sunshine!

Love,
Jeff, Susan, Jason, and Brittney

Anonymous said...

I'm praying with all my heart and with everything good I have within me. Please heal precious Sophie. Give her a long and healthy life. Let her have years and years with her family and dear God give them all the peace they deserve. Please,please,please show us your compassion for this perfect and innocent little girl. Show us a miracle dear God and make this world a better place as Sophie will continue to do as long as she lives. Amen. Please.

Anonymous said...

Sophie,

You have the best parents in the world! You are such a special little girl and God picked them just for you! We've only been lucky enough to meet you once. I've only met your daddy twice but my husband works for him and thinks he's a great guy. Your mom sounds like the most special of people whom I pray that I am lucky enough to meet one day. We were so happy to share in your fundraiser on Saturday, and were so glad to be able to give your daddy extra hugs and support while he was there. He IS a mighty strong guy, just like your mom is a very strong lady...which is where you must get YOUR strength from...stay strong and please know that we are here in Ohio praying for you!

Love,
Barb, Tim and Patrick Fahey

Anonymous said...

You've been in our thoughts all day today, and we've added extra prayers as you've been on your journey with the spiritual healer. I pray that all the "coincidences" that you've encountered are part of God's path toward a miracle for Sophie. May you have a restful night, and a safe trip tomorrow.

Blessings,
Kim, Chris, Grace, Rea & Kayla

So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it.
Hebrews 4:16

Anonymous said...

Sophie, I am praying for you, and for your family.
Hugs,
Ann/Angel Wings

Anonymous said...

I am a member of the Angel Wings prayer support ministry. I am praying for you.

ConnieJo mommytoSkylarJade said...

Hello again..I come all the time to see how Sophie is doing..My 3yr old Skylar~Jade is dying from this same tumor..her journey began this past May 17th,2006..We almost lost her three times this past week...But God has answered so many prayers and his sweet grace continues to spare her..she is fighting so hard to live...I will say a million more prayers for the "pontine glioma children"..Sophie and your family will be in my prayers forever.. I will remember to pray Tuesday also...I continue to have faith in the Miracle for our children...ONLY GOD can give these children another day...praying for one more moment..one more hour..one more day...Blessings ConnieJo mommyto www.caringbridge.org/visit/skylarjademaxson

ConnieJo mommytoSkylarJade said...

"A Wall of Prayer"
There are walls made by man built by frail and human hands
that an enemy can scale and get to you.
But there is one protecting me from my greatest enemy
It’s a wall that satan can’t break through

Sometimes a wall of grace sometimes a wall of faith
Other times it’s sweet mercy that I need.
But the one for which I long it makes all the others strong.
I need a wall of prayer surrounding me

Oh my brother when I’m weak would you stand instead for me
and pray a fortress ‘round me strong that can’t be moved.
And I promise you today when I bow my knees to pray
I’ll do my best to build a wall of prayer for you.
I wanted to leave this poem for Sophie and you...We will continue a wall of prayer for "the pontine glioma children" forever... Blessings ConnieJo mommyto www.caringbridge.org/visit/skylarjademaxson

Anonymous said...

Dear Quayle family; so great to get the thank you for Sophie's Brian's Buddie; so glad she liked it. We work very hard for cancer research and pray each day that a cure will be found so no child has to suffer ever again. Sophie is just beautiful and I pray for her each day and so does my prayer chain. I really appreciate your website; really look forward to each entry; what a strong mom you are! God's strength to all of you, take care joanne szwarc & eliz

Anonymous said...

Dear Grandma and Grandpa Miklaski....Now is a good opportunity to tell you that I never end a prayer without thanking God that you are with the kids. I just cannot imagine this without you there. You are truly one of our miracles.

Anonymous said...

Dear Marc and Emily,

Whenever we get the chance to read these comments, we are so moved by all the prayers, warm wishes, and inspiration they bring.
We know that you are giving your all to provide Sophie with every opportunity for healing and comfort. Marc, we reiterate in thanking all those who helped with last Saturday's fundraiser. I think you did a fine job of mentioning so many. If you forgot anyone, it's simply because the help is so overwhelming. And Emily,
as I watched you type the latest post, I saw how much love you are putting into your words.
To all I say:
Two things stand like stone,
KINDNESS in another's troubles, and COURAGE in one's own. (not my words, those of Adam Lindsy Gordon)
You two have the courage; friends and family,the kindness.