Sunday, April 1, 2007

Sunday April 1, 2007

This picture was chosen by Emily. We've entitled it, "One minute old."
After attending the fundraiser in Avon last night, I decided it was time that I make a post. Besides, Emily deserves a much needed break. However, you must know that I am not as eloquent as Emily.

Where do I begin? The K of C fundraiser was amazing! So many people worked very hard to make it a success and so many more showed up to support Sophie. My heart just wants to thank everyone, but I know in doing so, I will inevitably forget people. I’ll ask for forgiveness in advance. Please forgive me if I fail to acknowledge your efforts.

I want to first thank Scott and Elizabeth Gedeon. They spent countless hours over the last month coordinating the logistics and working to make the event a success. What’s incredible is Emily and I hardly knew the Gedeon’s. I had met Scott briefly at a birthday party last summer and met Elizabeth earlier this year at Sophie’s Sunday school. Emily knew Elizabeth through the Avon Lake Preschool PTA and also because Elizabeth was the neighbor of one of the families (Chris and Kim Walters) in Sophie’s playgroup. I am humbled that 2 people who were really just acquaintances would give so much of their time to help Sophie.

The Knights of Columbus are also amazing. In addition to sponsoring the fundraiser, they presented me with a rosary that was blessed by Pope John Paul II. The rosary came with a wonderful story about miracles (thanks Jim) and prayers from the entire K of C. We now have both a rosary and a crucifix (my grandmother gave Sophie a crucifix that was blessed by the Pope when she was in Rome) that were blessed by Pope John Paul II.

I also want to thank Kim and Chris Walters. In addition to helping tremendously with the fundraiser, you have been a source of constant support for us. The meals you’ve planned, the comments on the website, the cards and care packages you sent, and all the help last night means so much to us. I want to thank the Avon Lake Preschool PTA and all the girls in Emily’s play group. Thanks Mom and Dad for outbidding Elizabeth Gedeon for the Tigers/Indians tickets and then giving the tickets to Elizabeth and Scott. Thank you Aunt Patti, Uncle Rich, Uncle Joe and Michelle (the hitchhiker) for driving down from Michigan to help with the event. Thanks to my sister Leslie and brother-in-law Jacob who volunteered to come and help, only to turn around and drive all the way back to Michigan when it was over. Aunt Margaux, thanks for baking and for all the love you send down to Memphis each week. Thanks to the other members of our family for being there to support Sophie.

Philip Morris and all the amazing people I work with have been unbelievable. Jeff and Sue, thanks for your efforts. Jeff, your passion and extra large heart continues to amaze me. Sue, the bacon was awesome. Alex and Paula, thanks for your ongoing support. Emily and I love the almost daily comments and Sophie loves opening the many little treasures you send each week. Eric, thanks for the music. I know it takes a ton of time to set up the equipment. Jim, Ed, Christina, Rich, Cybil, Michael, Stephanie, Deana, Brad, Tim and Fred, thanks for helping with the event and showing your support. D73, thanks for being the best district. I also want to thank everyone who donated the wonderful gift baskets. Your support really has been phenomenal.

I want to thank my RCIA class. Your support and friendship has been awesome. Pat and Jim, thanks for guiding me on my journey. I want to thank Father Beatty and the entire Holy Spirit community. You have taken my family under your very enormous wings, and for that, we are grateful.

I want to thank Ed and Megan McNamara. You have been an inspiration for us. Your support, advice, and willingness to share so much of your time means the world to us. We are where we are today because of you. Know that we pray for, and think about, Maria each and every day. I look forward to coming home and taking Maria and Sophie to Cedar Point.

Finally, I want to thank the community. The support last night was humbling and we are blessed to have so many people praying for Sophie. We realize that many more people than those we mentioned played a huge part in making the fundraiser a success. Although I may not have mentioned your name, I am still just as grateful.

On another note, I must say that I’m excited to be back in Memphis. Sophie had a huge party planned for me. She decorated the entire apartment with her crafts and baked me a brownie cake complete with frosting and candles. She even had presents for me. She gave me a Hershey’s candy bar, a shirt from the Gap, and made me a framed Q out of buttons. I am the world’s luckiest dad!

Sophie is continuing to show improvement. Her personality and energy are so much better and she was clearly happy to see me. She is down to 2mg of decadron a day, so we’re hoping that some of her puffiness and weight gain will start to subside, although we know it will take time. She continues to walk with a limp, but we are seeing more of her smile back. We only have 13 radiation treatments left and then we’ll head back to Avon Lake. While we are excited to go home, we are so glad we came to St Jude. This place is amazing.

Continue to pray for Sophie, Maria, and every other child and family that are dealing with this horrible disease.


Happy Birthday Maria Esparza.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that the Quayle family has been reunited! Hoping that the coming week is the best one yet...full of sunshine, smooth-running procedures, and more and more of "the old" Sophie returning.
Sending all our love, hope, and prayers,
Paula and family

Anonymous said...

I love you so much and I am so very, very proud of you. Maybe to prepare you for this is why you were so special from the begining.

Omaloriann said...

God bless your family. Sending prayers up for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Great news that you are all back together! Sounds like the festivities were wonderful! We think of you everyday!
Hugs and Love,
The Simmons' Family

Anonymous said...

Dear Marc and Emily,
We too were overwhelmed at the tremendous outpouring of support and generosity we experienced at the K of C fundraiser. It's nice to know it was a huge success. If only we could buy a miracle...
We continue to pray for dear Sophie.
Love, Aunt Patti & Uncle Rich