Saturday, June 9, 2007

Really overdue!


We're back in Avon Lake after visiting Aunt Sarah and Uncle Matt in Florida. It was quite an ordeal; from our Sunday night flight out being cancelled (after my Dad and I were in the airport with Sarah and Sophie for 4 hours and then we were re booked on the 6:30 am flight Monday morning) to Sarah sneezing on the plane and consequently getting all of us sick while we were there, to Sarah catching a staph infection on her skin (most likely from the water in Florida), to Marc deciding to head back to Avon Lake with Sarah on Sunday instead of Tuesday with us so that he could get her to the doctor!!!! Never-the-less we still had fun, and Sophie got to spend some time at the beach and enjoying the Florida sun because the weather was perfect!!!!

We are hoping our trip back to Aunt Sarah's at the end of June (after her baby is born) will be a little less eventful.

While in Florida we began the decrease in Sophie's steroid dose. By the time we came back, she was down to 2 mg a day, but her appetite was still insatiable. I took her for her bi weekly appointment with the oncologist and neurologist here at RBC on Wednesday and both thought that from a neurological standpoint she looked better. Her weight was 48 pounds, which is obviously very concerning. Her blood pressure was high, (as it has been during the use of the decadron) and at times she seems to be breathing heavy. The doctor told me that this is due to the increased weight, and compared it to being at the end of pregnancy after gaining the average 30 something pounds, because percentage wise, Sophie's weight has increased by 30% which is comparable to an average pregnancy weight gain. I know how I felt at the end of my pregnancies, so now I am able to better understand why Sophie doesn't want to walk, why she is content just sitting and doing activities at the table, or watching TV. It breaks my heart because I know she needs the exercise but I understand how difficult it is for her to stand up, bend over, etc. because of her muscle weakness due to the tumor, but now also because of the tremendous amount of weight she has gained.

On Wednesday were given the okay to reduce the steroid further to 1.5 a day for a week (if she tolerates it) and then to 1. She hasn't had any headaches or vomiting, but she has been more tired. We are hoping this is a side effect from "coming down" off the steroid, and not an indication that she needs to go back up to 2. We still haven't seen a real decrease in her appetite, but we are hoping to, so that she may be able to enjoy the nice warm weather we have been having.

She finished up her 3 week cycle of her chemo, and she has a week off before she starts another 3 week cycle. We will wait to see the results of her July 2 MRI to decide if we can and/or will continue with the Zarnestra trial.

We have established a "sleeping schedule" so that I can count on a few good nights of sleep (if Sarah doesn't wake up) and also so that Marc can share in the bonding experience that I have when I lay down with Sophie at night. Grandpa even has a day - Wednesday, and even though if Sophie had the choice, she would choose to sleep with me, she has been receptive to the schedule. It's strange, now when it's my turn for a break, I have a hard time falling asleep without her!

Sophie had her first PT appointment here at the house. It was a good workout for her, and she fought back tears at some points. It's so hard for me to force her to keep going when I see the pain and anxiety in her eyes, but she did it, and hopefully she'll do better next week now that it is not so new. The therapist is bringing a colleague with her who will make a cast of Sophie's leg (she doesn't know this yet, and I am nervous to tell her) so that she can have a brace make to help her with her stiff-legged walk. The PT mentioned this to me during her initial consult, and so I asked Sophie's neurologist her opinion on Wednesday and she thought it was a good idea, so she wrote the prescription. We're hoping that this will allow Sophie's leg to become used to walking in the correct posisiton as she continues with the therapy in order to strengthen the muscles. I know she is NOT going to want to wear it at all. We battled with the glove that she was to wear at night, and I know this will be a battle as well. Insurance will pay for 6 in home PT visits, and then we can request more if we can prove that Sophie needs it and/or that she is making progress.

Now it's almost been a week since I started this post, and I'm finally finding time to finish it now that I am back in Florida with Sarah and Matt because little Zachary decided to come 3 weeks early! Everyone is sleeping, so I have some computer time.


Sophie continues to be the same symptom wise. She hasn't had headaches or vomiting, but remains the same in terms of her limp, right side weakness, and difficulty smiling on command. She can smile when she is laughing, or happy; the neurologist informed me that we use different muscles to smile on command than we do when we are laughing, so that explains that. Her appetite is slowing a little, and I mean a little. She is still quite lazy, for lack of a better word, and getting her out of the house to do anything can be hard - unless of course it involves going to a restaurant! Recently I told her that she has to take 2 walks around the cul-de-sac per day. She has been complying, but not without complaint.

We are still giving her 1.5 mg of decadron daily. We planned to reduce it to 1/day on Thursday, but thought it might be best to wait until I am back home on Monday.

A huge thank you to the IHM community in Cincinnati for the walk-a-thon fundraiser last Saturday. We continue to be humbled, and overwhelmed by the love and support from people both near and far. My parents drove down Saturday morning and had only wonderful things to say about the people and how organized everything was. I know Lisa Nicholson was the brain behind it all, and if I tried to thank others, I would inevitably forget someone, so a general thank you to everyone in Cincinnati, especially the IHM parishioners and my wonderful CRHP sisters who I miss so much. I love you guys.

We have been plugging along. Some days are better than others, but there are times when I find myself really missing the old Sophie. The innocent little girl with the smile, who wanted to spend time outside and go places with me. It's times when we do things that we used to do, when I realize how different she really is, and mostly I feel angry that she has to go through all this. I wish all she had to worry about was what we were going to play next, but instead she worries about how many "appointments" she has, who is coming to the house, how many bites of applesauce she has to take today, and how many more days she has until she has to get her blood drawn again.

Her fourth birthday is coming up on July 4th. We were talking about what kind of party she would like to have. At first she was set on Winnie the Pooh, then it was Backyardiagns, and now we are back to Dora (which she had last year). When I told her that she couldn't have the same theme two years in a row, she told me, "It's okay Mommy, I'll have Dora this year, Winnie the Pooh next year, and then Backyardigans the next time." My prayer is that she'll be around for many more birthdays, and that her only worry is what theme we should have for the party. I know the statistics aren't in my favor, so we keep the faith and keep praying for her miracle, and we ask that you do the same.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still praying for Sophie's miracle.

The Simmons' Family

Anonymous said...

We are praying that Sofie has many more birthdays with any theme she wants. We hope you are enjoying your summer and glad to hear you were able to be together as a family in Florida. We think about you guys everyday - so know that you are not alone and many others are sending up prayers and positive thoughts! Hold on to each other tight and believe the old Sofie will return!

Anonymous said...

I pray every day for Sophie and her miracle as do others from the Marriott. I think about her daily. I pray God will keep you strong and carry you at times also. My mother and other residents from St. Mary's of the Woods are also praying for Sophie.
Jean, Avon Lake

Anonymous said...

Congratulations you two on your new nephew and cousin for the girls. Tell Sophie we are packing our suitcase and we can hardly wait to see her and Sarah. We will have a tea party, play stickers, watch cartoons, build a blanket fort that we can read books in, and Poppy is bringing cards so we can play War. I want to play Candyland and of course, go to Panera. We love you all so very much and, as always, we pray for Sophie's miracle.

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for you and those future birthday parties!!
God's Blessings to you all!

Anonymous said...

Marc, Emily, Sophie, and Sarah,

I am so glad to hear you were able to enjoy Florida! I can't believe Sophie will be 4 so soon. How wonderful that her birthday is 4th of July. We have been thinking of your family often hoping for special moments and healing. Hope to see Sophie sometime soon. Keep being the wonderful parents you both are!

Love,
Emily and Geoff

Anonymous said...

You continue to be in our hearts and prayers. We have so much hope for Sophie to enjoy many more birthdays, miracles happen everyday!

Love,
Misty, Doug, Elizabeth, Summer, and Sienna

Anonymous said...

We are still praying for you all! Looking forward to lunch at Carrabba's this Saturday! I hope you are enjoying this wonderful summer weather!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily, May God bless you and Marc and your family. I pray that you keep strong and close and I wish so much that I could take this horror away from you. I pray for you every day and I pray for your precious Sophie. God surely did bless Sophie and Sarah with the right parents. If I can ever do anything for you it would be my honour. Love, Aunt Lynne

Anonymous said...

Marc and Emily,

We were stunned to hear the news about your adorable little daughter. Please let us know if we can do anything. It has been far too long since we last spoke, and I would love to hear from you. We have some catching up to do. My thoughts and prayers are now with you guys and I hope we can get in touch and keep in touch from here on out.

Your friend,

Jason, Sarah, Adam (15), Preston (7), and Natalie (3) Darby (yes 3 kids!!!!)
810-245-6695

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know this will be Sophie's Golden Birthday! That's when your age is the same as the date. It's VERY special, so I just know her birthday wish will come true.

And I pray that all our wishes for her come true, too.

Anonymous said...

The web-site is simply amazing. Thank you for sharing your story. You can feel the love and support from so many people. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

With much love,
Heather Hoytink

Anonymous said...

Emily, Marc, Sophie & Sarah,

You are all in our thoughts & prayers each and every day. A day does not go by without our asking Him to give you the strength that you need and to heal your little Sophie. We hope that you feel the love and support that obviously surrounds you all.
God Bless you with love,
Tim, Barb & Patrick Fahey

Anonymous said...

We miss you and love you all so very, very much. Have a great time in Florida. We'll be thinking about Sophie sliding down the "frogs tongue". Don't forget to shop for your birthday, Sophie!
So Much Love, Grandma Turner and Poppy

Anonymous said...

Dear Quayle Family,

You are in my thoughts and prayers EVERY day. I try to think positive thoughts and send them your way. I see Sophie's beautiful smile when I close my eyes and pray that she is smiling like that everyday. I hope she is enjoying the summer days and giggling at silly things. I know she hears how much she is loved everyday. Faith is strong and all around you.

Sophie,

It's only 3 days until your birthday and I hope you get everything you wish for! I will be saying miracle prayers with each firework burst that lights the sky. You are a special little girl. God Bless.

Blessings,
Betsy Kaiser
Praying for Miracles

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Beautiful Sophie!
When I look up in the sky on Wednesday and see all of the beautiful colors, I will be thinking of you! You and your family are part of all of my prayers. I hope your day is wonderful!
Love,
Maria Dorsky

Anonymous said...

Sophie will especially be in my thoughts and prayers on her birthday. Have a really fun day, Sophie!

-- Miss Laurann, Abby, and Bridget

Anonymous said...

We wish you a VERY HAPPY 4th BIRTHDAY Sophie! We will be thinking of you, especially during the fireworks!

The Simmons' Family

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sophie!! My thoughts and prayers are with you on this very, very special day!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOPHIE!!!

Sending you love & hugs and wishing you a day of fun and many answered prayers.

Blessings,
The Kaiser Family

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sophie!! You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We hope your 4th birthday is a great one and that you get to enjoy some fireworks too!!

Love,
Jeff & Susan Miller

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Sophie!!!Enjoy your special day!I've been following your blog and have been praying for you for a long time now.

Marcia from Ohio

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th Birthday Sophie.
Hope you have lots of fun today.

Thinking of you from East Moline, Illinois.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sophie!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sophie. We hope you got everything you wanted. We're sure you did. We can't wait to read about what theme you decided on. Our little girl, Chelsea, is having a Disney Princess 4th Birthday Party in 3 weeks. She had Dora just like you did last year.

Jim and Julie Bell, Brownstown, MI

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th Birthday Sophie! What a very special day this is! A beautiful day for a beautiful little girl. We hope all your wishes come true!

Love,
Emiy and Geoff

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th Birthday! They say your golden birthday is when your age falls on the day you were born... so I hope today has been golden and filled with love. My thoughts to you :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sophie!

We pray for you and your family everyday!

Maria's Aunt Eileen

Anonymous said...

What a busy time.....for both of you AND the "Birthday Girls". Have a wonderful time next week. You are in our minds and hearts every minute. We love you all so very much.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Sophie!!! I hope you all enjoyed the holiday! You are still in our thoughts and prayers...

Love,
John, Kelly & Hannah Ferencz

Anonymous said...

Sophie, I thought of you throughout the day on July 4th, especially during your very own fire works! I was sure that you were having a wonderful birthday party. Your 4th! With all the people around you who love you sooo much! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers every day. Enjoy your summer days and evenings and give your sister, Sarah, a birthday kiss today from Aunt Lynne

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sophie!
Just wanted you to know that we are thinking about you everyday. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Sean, Jen, Katie, and Jake Slater

Anonymous said...

hello i stumbled across your website though 955the fish and i just wanted you and your precious sophie to know that i will keep you and your family in my prayers. i too serve our amazing Father in heaven and know that He is the great doctor and can heal and make your baby girl like new. i trust that He will and want you that i will continue to pray for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sophie and Family,

I pray all is well. There is some info I would like to share with you but I do not have your email address. Please send it to me and I will forward this info to you. I hope you find it helpful the response from it is becoming overwhelming. My email add is dasiasdiary@yahoo.com Again you and your family are in our prayers. Stay strong and be encouraged.

Kristina & Dasia

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I wanted to send you some info but I do not have your email address. Please send it to dasiasdiary@yahoo.com. I hope you find it useful. I just left a messages but it didn't post. Hope and Pray all is well. Stay stron and be encouraged.

Kristina and Dasia