Monday, April 30, 2007

Still the Same


Many people have been asking how Sophie is doing since my last post. We are answering with "About the same," because in some ways she seems better, but then new things are coming up.


Her personality is the same. Still generally happy, but tires easily. Grandpa says it is because they play so hard during the days. Friday, Saturday and Sunday night she complained that her neck hurt. That was concerning. She pointed to the area at the top of her spine; even more concerning. If we question her, she will say it doesn't hurt. I think she can sense our anxiety.


She also has been sleeping fitfully again. Last night she wanted to get up for the day at 2:00am because "it hurts to sleep." She didn't remember saying that this morning.


Her new favorite thing is for me to "stretch her." This is a good thing because she needs that range of motion in her right arm and leg. I am really having to pull to flex her right foot and straighten her right fingers and thumb.


On the up side, Papa came last night and this afternoon brought Sophie a few flowers to plant outside...that has been her latest obsession..."when can we plant flowers?" He also played outside with her for a long time. I think he was more tired than Sophie! She can be pretty demanding! Grandpa also arrived and took the girls to the park with Marc while I went to the dentist; again. Sophie has been playing pretty well with Sarah. It is so cute to see. She does get protective about her stuff...in true big sister manner, but the other day they sat and played with Sophie's kitchen stuff for a while with no adults "helping." Sophie did a lot of walking at the park, and bending down while planting, so at least she is still moving.


She is wearing the glove at night for as long as we can get her to keep it on; it doesn't fit her perfectly, so we will ask at St. Jude about getting a new one that stays in place.


I want to thank all of you who are making comments to the blog. I always forget to mention that we find tremendous support in knowing people are praying for Sophie everyday.


We, of course, continue to be anxious about Thursday. We are trying to be realistic about what the MRI might show. One, the symptoms could be a result of all the radiation and prayers causing swelling because the tumor is dying off so fast. Two, the tumor is getting bigger and the radiation didn't work. Or three, there is a secondary tumor somewhere else. We are hoping, praying, and begging that option number one is behind all this.


When Sophie was first diagnosed we asked ourselves "Why?" over and over, but then accepted the burden we were asked to carry. Now we find ourselves again asking "Why?" "Why isn't she back to normal?" This time, we are trying to remain hopeful that the "back to normal - at least for the summer" that we were promised will still happen. It is hard to look around and realize that for most DIPG kids, radiation does give them back some good time. The guilt of putting Sophie through all of the radiation drama and the trip to St. Jude for possibly nothing is really wearing on me.


Again, we ask for your prayers and thank you for your support.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoping Sophie has been able to get outside and enjoy these last 2 days of beautiful weather! I had coffee with a sorority sister last night and Sophie's name came up. Sophie is everywhere; my friend told me her daughter's preschool class took up a collection for Sophie. I love to look at that map to the right and see the red dots ALL OVER THE WORLD. Your daughter is changing people's lives!!!
Sending love and prayers always,
Paula and family

Anonymous said...

Like most of your extended family, I look for a new post every time I go on the internet. It seems that my thoughts turn to Sophie and your immediate family many times during the day. I wonder how you are doing, what problems are being solved, what new problems are rearing their ugly heads. But most of all, like everyone else who posts here, I turn these thoughts into opportunities for prayer.

Anonymous said...

We pray for Sophie everyday and for strength for your family. We will pray the MRI shows "option one" and the tumor is dying off fast - melting away like an ice cube on a hot day. You are so lucky to have such an excellent support system from your family. Hold on to each other and never give up HOPE! We will keep the prayers coming! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily and Marc,
When Dad is there, he does keep me informed about Sophie's daily activities, but I love reading your posts. They make me feel close to you even though I'm here in Michigan. I'm so glad that Dad is there in Ohio with you all. I think about you so much, and can't wait to hear or read something from Avon Lake. The prayers keep on coming, especially from my students. Everyday they ask about Sophie and continue to pray for her. I love you guys, and miss you more than you know. I'm selecting Report #1.

Anonymous said...

Oh Emily, I am so very proud of you. The strength of your faith really comes through in your posts. Can you imagine how you would feel if you HADN'T given radiation a "try"? You had no option but to go for it, otherwise you would have been giving up without a fight. Have a safe trip Wednesday. Literally thousands of people are praying for a glorious Thursday. Give Marc a big hug from me and kiss the girls for us. We love you so very much.

Anonymous said...

We are ALWAYS thinking about precious Sophie. Please give kisses and hugs to her and Baby Sarah. Thank you for keeping everyone updated on this website . . . we know it takes a lot of time. We're glad you've allowed us in your lives. Our hearts are with yours.

Love, Michon, Todd, Rhye and Brennan

grammiek said...

I am Sara and Molly's aunt and I can't tell you how sorry I am that Sofie and your family have to endure such heartache. Please know that you all have been and will continue to be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dear Marc and Emily,
It is hard for me to believe that you won't get your miracle on Thursday. Susan says no matter what, you guys are strong. Stay tight together. We are praying and we love you.
Poppy Turner

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for a safe trip for your family, and the "#1" result on the MRI. Continued prayers every day!

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,

I have not had the pleasure of meeting you and your beautiful family, but am a fellow IHM parishioner. I became aware of Sophie's story through a couple of your CRHP sisters who are planning the Walk-a-thon in June. Together with the entire IHM community, I am praying for you, Sophie, and your entire family.

I can't even imagine what you must be going through - your strength and faith are simply amazing! And by the outpouring of love and support you are receiving, I know without even meeting you what an amazing woman and mother you must be! It's easy to see where Sophie gets her special spirit!

I will say a special prayer for your family on Thursday as you await the results of this next group of tests. Meanwhile, please know that God is watching over Sophie and your entire family...and his love will get you through whatever lies ahead.

Sending prayers of peace and hope to you from Cincinnati...

Your sister in Christ,
Christy

Anonymous said...

Emily,

Everyone I know is praying for Sophie and her miracle. We will make sure we pray extra hard on Thursday. Stay strong and know that your family is always in our thoughts!

Love,
The Slater Family

Anonymous said...

Dear Marc and Emily,
I'm with your mom on this one. Every day, more and more people are praying for Sophie. I have to believe we'll get our miracle. Love and Prayers,
Aunt Patti

Anonymous said...

Dear Sophie and Family,
I am really enjoying seeing your Grandma here in Trenton at Curves. She has wonderful stories to tell about all the fun times she has had with you and the wonderful things you have done. She sure is one proud grandmother! She is my friend, and I am happy to share those stories with her, although I'm sure that you miss her.
I have started the habit of praying for you and your family while I am stopped at red lights while I am out driving. I will continue to do that, until that 'ice cube' is melted for good! Enjoy your new flowers!

Anonymous said...

Marc and Emily

We continue to pray for Sophie and her miracle. we pray that option 1 is what you post when you return to your blog. Lots of hugs to all of you!

The Ferencz Family

Anonymous said...

Emily,
You completely amaze me. Sophie and Sarah are so blessed to have a mom like you. Whatever is next I am sure you will face head on. I will pray for option #1, but will also pray for option #4 - that this is a sign of your miracle to come. That Sophie is not reacting like the others because she is going to beat the odds and defy science. Sending positive thoughts your way and of course prayers. Love, Misty

Anonymous said...

Your anxiety about Sophie's upcoming tests is certainly understandable. Don't let go of your hope, God's miracle for Sophie is still out there. We'll definitely make some extra time this Thursday to send up more prayers for positive news and a safe trip for all of you.

God Bless,
Kim & family

Anonymous said...

My name is Brandy Mitchell. I would really love to talk to you more about Sophie's condition. My son is at St. Jude Children's Hospital and is currently taking Zarnestra also. They are trying to lower his steroid dosage as well and he's eating like CRAZY! He is gaining so much weight! He doesn't even look like the same child.

Please e-mail me at brndymtchll@yahoo.com if you are interested in talking.