Tuesday, September 4, 2007

6 Months and Counting


It seems that time gets away from us. Quite ironic because the one thing I wish I had more of right now is time. This picture was taken exactly one year ago, and I can't even begin to imagine how things would have been different had we not been thrown this "curve ball" (as my brother says.) Sophie should be back at preschool...

On a day to day basis, it seems that Sophie's condition is unchanged. But then when I stop to think about how different she is from 2 months ago, it's obvious how the tumor is progressing.

I want to remain positive so posting these facts and symptoms is hard. Regardless of how she is digressing, we ask that you continue to pray for her in hopes that she will still receive her miracle. Fr. Beatty came last week and anointed Sophie again, and we had a mini first communion service. Unfortunately Sophie didn't take the communion, but we still have it here waiting for her to let us know she is ready.

I am still exploring other alternative options, but again, time is not on our side, and so far most of these other options have the same track record as the current conventional protocols that are available.

I have been trying to get Sophie to use a communication board to help me understand what she is trying to say. The social worker from hospice gave us some generic cards to use and then my sister Sarah and Andrea took pictures of things around the house. Sophie still continues to try to talk, and gets frustrated when I don't understand her. She has recently tried to use the pictures a little more.

Symptom wise Sophie is having a very difficult time chewing and swallowing. Her appetite has been better so it is hard to watch her struggle to eat. She's actually gone a few days here and there without vomiting but then the nauseousness comes back without warning. She has resorted to the use of pull-ups (although we still call them "sleeping underwear.") Yesterday I asked her if she can tell when she goes to the bathroom, and she said "Yes." I then asked her if it is too hard for her to sit on the potty and go and again she said , "Yes." Her balance and core strength have been affected and she dreads having to "stand" while getting her pants pulled up.

The hospice nurse came on Thursday and said that Sophie's lungs are still strong and her vitals are great. A positive thing to hear; we just need the rest of her to cooperate!

On Monday she finished her 18th treatment without the steroid . We are waiting for blood work to see if we can continue with 18 more treatments. We haven't really seen the kind of improvement that we have hoped for, but want to continue in hoping that maybe we will break through with these next 18.

I am thankful to God that Sophie has not been feeling any physical pain. I repeatedly ask her everyday if anything hurts, and she shakes her head "No." I'm sure it's hard for her emotionally though because her mind is perfect and trapped in a body that doesn't do what she wants it to do. From a mother's perspective, it is literally like watching your daughter be tortured; the only comfort that gets me through is that it doesn't appear that she sees it that way. It's hard to know what she really understands. I like to think that she is being comforted by Jesus each step of the way.

The last few days the weather has been beautiful and Sophie has agreed to go on walks, bike rides, and mini outings with Marc and this has been a blessing. It gives me a little break and I know the sunshine is good for her. I have a harder time convincing her to go outside...maybe because I haven't wanted to make her do anything she doesn't want to do. Although we actually did take a short trip to Bath and Body Works tonight to buy some antibacterial soap! How easy I forget.

Sophie has been so loving lately; she wants to hold my hand and be near me as much as she can. I tell her I love her and she squeezes my finger to let me know she loves me too. And even though her ability to smile is gone, every now and then I will see a twinkle in her eye and I'll know she is smiling.

Please, please continue to pray for her and for our family. We need God to bless us with a miracle, and we need it more now than ever. Thank you all for your continued love and support. With God, all things are possible.

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for your miracle~

www.caringbridge.org/visit/abigailkelley

The Kelley's
Ball Ground, GA

Anonymous said...

Sophie and family will always be in our thoughts and prayers.

Jim (www.icouldbeyourchild.org)

Anonymous said...

My darling Emily, You cannot begin to know how much your strength and courage inspires us. The miracle in this is that God has blessed us with you and Marc as Sophie's parents. You and Marc are being tested as most people never are. I know how tight you hold your faith and, again, I am so inspired by you. We love you all so very much. You and Marc stay strong and tight to one another.

Anonymous said...

You're family's strength and faith are an ispiration to so many of us. I became aware of Sophie through the Little Gym of Avon and I am another complete stranger that thinks about and prays for her everyday. I will never stop believing that Sophie's miracle is on its way!

Peggy
Lakewood, Ohio

Sara said...

Thank you for the post, we think of you and your family every day and will continue to pray for Sophie's miracle. In Florida, Sara and Molly

Anonymous said...

I continue to pray for Sophie and all of you every day. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you as strong as ever. It is beautiful that even without words or smiles Sophie is able to communicate her love to you. May God continue to bless you with his presence and consolation!
love in Christ,
Laurann

Anonymous said...

I find it hard to know what to say but always fall back to my faith to offer some form of comfort. I pray everyday, multiple times throughout the day, that Sophie gets her miracle. I pray that she has comfort, peace and knows God is with her always. I am sure she feels His presence at all times. Stay strong and keep your faith!

All the love, prayers and thoughts I can offer and more....from Kansas.
~Becky

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily, Not a mother in the world could read your post without crying. You are in my thoughts and prayers numerous times a day. I will continue to pray - now even more frequently. I pray for Sophie's cure and for continued hope, strength, and comfort for you and Marc. Your courage inspires me. You are correct. With God, all things are possible.
Candace Ashton

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with your family.

Anonymous said...

I admire your courage and strength. Sophie is so blessed to have a mom as selfless, patient, and loving as you. You are her sunshine, and I will continue to pray for her miracle.

Anonymous said...

The prayers are always there for you all and as I have said before we fell so blessed that we got the chance to meet you all! They say people come and go from your life for a reason and I feel as though this was the case with Sophie! I know I get angry thinking about why this can't be fixed so I can't imagine how you must feel day to day but I am still believing in God's best for you all!!!

Love,

The Baileys!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Emily,
I think and pray for your family daily. I wish I could be there for you in some way. I say the rosary every Monday at adoration and I ask Mary to hold you and Sophie in her arms each time. I hope you can feel some kind of comfort at those times. I am so inspired by you and Marc. You two are doing a great job. I hope that you know you can contact me at any time. I don't ever want to bother you, but I want you to know that I think of you daily and you are always in my prayers. Please always know that you can call me anytime. Continue to do what you are doing and know that you and your family are in His Hands. I love and miss you.
Tina Wolfer

Unknown said...

Sophie has touched so many lives, including people who have never had the honor of meeting her, like myself. Your family will continue to be in my prayers. God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for your family. God Bless Sophie and God bless you for being such wonderful parents.

Joanne Fontana

Anonymous said...

Emily - you and Marc are amazing people. Sophie is so lucky to have you as her parents. We missed you this morning at Little Learners. As always - we said a prayer for Sophie's healing. This "curve ball" is so unfair but you are handling it with such GRACE. I pray for many more "finger squeezes" from Sophie for you and I will continue to visualize her complete healing. I BELIEVE in Sophie's miracle and I will not give up HOPE. Please let me know if there is anything we can do for you. Anything. We will keep praying for Sophie and your family.

the editor said...

Thank you so much for your post. We are always anxious to hear how Sophie is doing as we pray for her, and you all, daily. It's so hard to know what to say, but cling to God- He knows what's best for Sophie. Praying for Sophie's miracle,
Carolyn
Long Island

Unknown said...

Dear Emily,
Sophie must feel so much love around her every single day from you, Marc and the rest of your family. My heart goes out to you. I think of you so very often...I pray for your strength and, of course, for Sophie to be cured from this terrible tumor. Stay strong.
Love, Tracy

Anonymous said...

We love sweet little Sophie so much and think about her often. I keep hoping to hear on the news that there has been some breakthrough in the medical field that will cure this! Your family is such an inspiration. We're praying for you every day.

Love,
Emily and Geoff

Anonymous said...

Emily and Marc,
Yes, with God, all things are possible. Continue to live your faith.

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily and Marc,

I started to write this comment and I just don't have the words to convey to you all how much I pray for and think of Sophie. So, please know that she is most definitely in my prayers! I am praying for her miracle and for God to give all of you the strength and energy to care for her. I'm so glad she gives you a "twinkle eye" smile! Keep strong and don't lose hope, God is amazing. Best wishes!

Molly (:

Anonymous said...

We all love you sooooo much,
Sophie, WE'RE ALL WITH YOU and our prayers are helping to make you strong. YOU GO GIRL! Love and strength to you ALL. Proudly, Aunt Lynne ENJOY THE FALL!

jenhealan said...

Praying for "Sophie's miracle"


The Healan family in Athens, GA

emily anna said...

I continue to pray for Sophie, and your family. What a sweet child... she is touching so many lives.

Unknown said...

I love you little Sophie! Your proud, excited little face just rips my heart out! You hold on to that little sparkle in your eye, as it is such GIFT to those around you! You are a perfect angel. Praying for A MIRACLE! PLEASE!

Anonymous said...

I want you to know that I think of Sophie every day. My niece, Emily, was in Sophie's Little Gym class. I continue to pray for your family and want you to know that this little angel has touched my life in so many ways.
Jennifer
Lorain, Ohio

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your worries and struggles. Thank you for sharing this difficult trial. Sophie is watched over and protected even though at times that might be hard to believe. What a sweet pumpkin!

Anonymous said...

Still praying so very hard...
The Simmons'

Anonymous said...

We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers and your daughter as well. We have four year old daughter who is about at the same stage of this tumor as your daughter. We hope that the Lord will give you peace and that Sophie will be comforted no matter what happens. This thing is tough no matter what happens it seems! It sounds like you are wonderful parents to work so hard to help your daughter communicate. I think I will try taking pictures to help my daugter communicate!
Hannah's mom

Anonymous said...

Emily, Marc and Sophie,
Prayers and Love continue to come your way for Sophie's miracle and the strength you need to get threw.It is always darkest before the dawn. God Bless all of you.
Kathy Auvil

sunShine said...

My family and I pray for you, Sophie, and your family every day. We will continue to pray for a miracle.

Anonymous said...

I will continue to pray for Sophie everyday. Not a day goes by that I don't think about this beautiful little girl. Don't ever give up hope! May God Bless Sophie and her family.
Jean, Avon Lake

Anonymous said...

We are praying for Sophie. She looks so beautiful in all the pictures. The Power of prayer is behind you all. God Bless,
Belia Cepeda
Edinburg, TX

Anonymous said...

Emily & Marc,
I can't even imagine the pain you must be feeling having to watch Sophie go through this. I pray for Sophie's miracle and for your strength to endure daily. Don't give up hope, miracles do happen.
Love, Misty

Anonymous said...

You never leave my thoughts and my prayers are continuous. Don't lose sight of yourselves. Eat healthy, rest when you can, and exercise daily. Stay physically strong as well as mentally strong. Hold your faith close and stay tight to one another. We love you all so very, very much.

Anonymous said...

Emily, Marc, Sophie & Sara...we continue to pray for you all. I pray for Sophie to get her miracle. I pray to all those that have known her that are 'the other side' to protect her and to provide her with the miracle she deserves. I pray that you continue to find this miraculous strenght to keep Sophie as comfortable as possible. My heart goes out to you all.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Sophie's great grandpa Jeric, great grandma Jeric,and great great grandma Appell are ALL loving and watching over our precious girl on "the other side". I know it! Sophie, enjoy these fall days and know that everything is alright and that we are all with you every minute. Love, great aunt Lynne

Anonymous said...

Please know that we are praying everday for Sophie, we will never give up until she is granted aher miracle and completely healed. I wished we lived closer so we could attend the fundraiser, it sounds like it will be a good time.

God Bless.

Rich McGowan (Angel Matthew's Dad)

Anonymous said...

I am praying for Sophie and the rest if your family and I hope that Sophie likes the little green square person that I made her.

Anonymous said...

Emily and family
tracy dunn got in contact with
the class of 93.
I think of you and pray for sophie's miracle everyday.
sara bommarrito(somma)

Anonymous said...

Sophie, I'm thinking of you and your family every day and I hope that you all are getting outside and that it's a beautiful fall in Avon Lake. You are a little miracle and I'm praying for you so hard. Take good care of your parents and that little sister of yours! Love great aunt Lynne